Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 31

Hello everyone

I'm not a frequent user of Trados, and I was asked to review/proofread a translation. I've noticed that the tags are different in source and target. In fact, the target often contains tags that are not even present in the source (and they don't seem like unedited fuzzy matches). I have no idea how the translator managed to create those tags (perhaps he edited the file in a different program).

My question is: does it matter, to Trados, that the tags are
... See more
Hello everyone

I'm not a frequent user of Trados, and I was asked to review/proofread a translation. I've noticed that the tags are different in source and target. In fact, the target often contains tags that are not even present in the source (and they don't seem like unedited fuzzy matches). I have no idea how the translator managed to create those tags (perhaps he edited the file in a different program).

My question is: does it matter, to Trados, that the tags are different? Do I need to fix these tags? (Would you have fixed them?)

tags

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Jan 31

It might matter, but that depends on what the tags are for. The golden rule, however, is to integrate the exact same tags in the target, at the right place.

I would notify your customer, if I were you, because fixing tags can be very time-consuming and this is obviously the translator's responsibility.

Roy Oestensen
Stepan Konev
Joe France
Renée van Bijsterveld

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
F8 Jan 31

Are there any errors reported when you press F8?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:21
English to Russian
I wouldn't Jan 31

As mentioned above fixing tags may be very time-consuming. I would return it to the client for them to return it to the translator.
As a workaround you can select a short tag view. Most probably it would make them look identical. It would not resolve the issue but you can say something like "oh, really, how come? they were identical when I worked on the file".

[Edited at 2024-01-31 12:48 GMT]

Aurélien ARPAZ

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Hans Jan 31

Hans Lenting wrote:

Yup... and the scroll bar tab can't get any smaller.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Just give it back Jan 31

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

Yup... and the scroll bar tab can't get any smaller.

In that case: give the job back to the client, for rework by the "translator".

Placing tags correctly can be even more time-consuming than translating the tagged text itself.

Stepan Konev
Elena Feriani
Jaime Oriard
Aurélien ARPAZ
Georgi Kovachev
Recep Kurt

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different tags... is it a problem?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »