Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
The annoying "object reference not set to an instance of an object" error in St. 2022 (package file)
Thread poster: Lingua 5B
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trados error May 8, 2023

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Maybe the trouble was/is caused by comments integrated into one of your source (Office) files. I had that caused many problems a couple of years ago.

Yes. The first suspects are always comments, footnotes and the table of contents.

Matthias Brombach

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:04
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Trados (t)error May 9, 2023

And? Would you please tell us what solution you finally opted for? I can already see other posts from you in other topics of the forums, therefore you must have found a solution and time for other things. Will you please keep the many of us updated, who tried to help you out of your desperate situation?

Lingua 5B

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 9, 2023

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.

This is the final resolution:

It was a fairly small file that took hours of bug fixing. The file itself could have been done in an hour or so, while the bug search took much more than that. The deadline was due, so I decided to cancel the project. The client didn't want work outside the package.

So honestly I didn't have more time for further explorations, nor did it make any sense for that small file gi
... See more
Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.

This is the final resolution:

It was a fairly small file that took hours of bug fixing. The file itself could have been done in an hour or so, while the bug search took much more than that. The deadline was due, so I decided to cancel the project. The client didn't want work outside the package.

So honestly I didn't have more time for further explorations, nor did it make any sense for that small file given the amount of time the bug chase took.

Somebody mentioned alleged comments attached to the file as a potential source of the problem. Is that something I can fix on my end, or the client (the package creator) needs to fix it on their end? This client was not cooperative whatsoever and took a highly defensive stance "the file works fine on their end", I tried reasoning with them twice, then gave it up.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:04
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Try reinstalling Trados May 10, 2023

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Trados, with a fresh download of the installer from your account on the RWS website. I believe this error message comes from the .NET framework that Trados is built to run on. It will be installed at the same time that you install Trados, so if there are any errors in the .NET framework they might be fixed with a fresh install.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that too May 10, 2023

John Fossey wrote:

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Trados, with a fresh download of the installer from your account on the RWS website.

Did exactly that, it didn’t make any difference, the error reappeared.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The annoying "object reference not set to an instance of an object" error in St. 2022 (package file)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »