Trados is not opening the next segment...
Thread poster: Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 04:12
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
Jun 28, 2004

Hi!
I am in the middle of a translation with some large pictures on the page. I am using Trados Freelance 6.5 and I am working with a word document. When I clicked the set, open get it just closed the translation unit and did not open a new one. I have tried to open the new unit but the only thing showing is a black line on the first letter of the segment in Word and the text from the previous TU is still showing in Workbench. I have tried to fix document but it doesnt help. What can I do?
... See more
Hi!
I am in the middle of a translation with some large pictures on the page. I am using Trados Freelance 6.5 and I am working with a word document. When I clicked the set, open get it just closed the translation unit and did not open a new one. I have tried to open the new unit but the only thing showing is a black line on the first letter of the segment in Word and the text from the previous TU is still showing in Workbench. I have tried to fix document but it doesnt help. What can I do? Grateful for speedy advice.
Collapse

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Are you getting an "End of parragraph not found" message? Jun 28, 2004

Make sure there is a hard return at the end of the segment. Also, you might check if the segment has been marked as "Do not translate". Another option is to copy the segment to a new document in Word and see if it opens there.
Regards,
Riardor

RWSTranslati (X)
RWSTranslati (X)
Germany
Local time: 12:12
German to English
+ ...
Error description Jun 28, 2004

Hello,
please tell us, if you get an error message in the status line of Workbench.

Can you open other units ?

Maybe you can make a paragraph end mark after your line.
Maybe it will help if you disable the field function view and the graphic view.

Hans

Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
More info.. Jun 28, 2004

Thank you for your comments.

The other segment is closing properly with a Trados tag at the end and I am not getting an error message. This has never happened before so I wonder if it is due to the pictures? No other segments further down in the document is opening either. Only the "old" ones that I have already translated.

RWSTranslati (X)
RWSTranslati (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Bookmarks Jun 28, 2004

Hello,

try to look for bookmarks like Tw4WinFrom and Tw4WinUpto and delete this bookmarks if they exist.

Hans

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Try this Jun 29, 2004

I've had that problem quite often. It does not have anything to do with the pictures. Unfortunately, the "fix document" from Trados does not work too well.

Try this:
1. In Word menu Tools/Option, make "Show hidden text".
2. go to the offending location.
3. delete the Trados tags before and after the text (something like {0> ...). You may require to toggle tag protection in the Trados menu if you get a "protected tag" complaint.
4. Make sure the original text
... See more
I've had that problem quite often. It does not have anything to do with the pictures. Unfortunately, the "fix document" from Trados does not work too well.

Try this:
1. In Word menu Tools/Option, make "Show hidden text".
2. go to the offending location.
3. delete the Trados tags before and after the text (something like {0> ...). You may require to toggle tag protection in the Trados menu if you get a "protected tag" complaint.
4. Make sure the original text is not hidden (you can see that if the text is underlined with dots).
5. Delete the translated text behind the original text
6. Reset the tag protection (if you unprotected it)
7. Unmark the "Show hiddent text" of step 1.

It should work now. You can use this trick also if you get a problem with incomplete tags, etc.

Note: I had to edit this text again, because some sets of characters -those of Trados Tags-, when combined, made the rest of my text disappear!

[Edited at 2004-06-29 14:02]
Collapse

Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your advice! Jun 29, 2004

Trados can be so tricky sometimes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados is not opening the next segment...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »