Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 07:10
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
What??? May 16, 2012

Will Masters wrote:
Even many of the posters in this thread who, despite admittedly having a far superior level of English to the OP’s Spanish and who are taking the p*** out of his Spanish, have made mistakes

Including you ("No-one"?), we all type quickly here and are doing this for fun so even though we are professionals, some mistakes might well get made, problem is their text was one long mistake in Spanish.

Will Masters wrote:
In terms of his translation ability, not one of you is able to comment. You haven’t seen his work. It is entirely possible that, despite making a large number of mistakes when writing Spanish, he is able to produce a perfectly acceptable translation into English.

This person asked for advice in Spanish so it is only normal to assume they want to translate into Spanish.

Will Masters wrote:
On that note, there were a few mistakes in the English translation provided of his original post.

As I'm the only one that did a "translation" of his text I imagine you are referring to me when you say there were mistakes in the translation, and here I was thinking I was one of the few that had in fact answered his question constructively.

I think it's obvious there were mistakes in the "translation" because I had to try to find a way to make him understand the mistakes he made when writing in Spanish, take for example his saying "Era pensando sobre" if I translate that directly into English it will be "Was thinking about" which in English would sound OK (would be better with "I" but it's a valid sentence) so I have to make something up to try and help him see the mistake he made (I am assuming you agree "Era pensando sobre" is a mistake) , in this case I chose "Were thinking on" but it could have been any other combination that did not make sense the important thing was for him to see the extent of his mistakes and make him see he would be better off spending his time improving his Spanish.

Will Masters wrote:
Rather than taking the p***, why don’t you make the effort to answer his question or offer advice on how and where to improve his Spanish.

Even though I tried to answer his question I understand the outrage/humour, maybe part of it is you yourself are not yet a translator and can't really see our point of view.

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:10
angielski > francuski
+ ...
¡Basta! May 17, 2012

¿Podríamos, POR FAVOR, encerrar esa hebra y pasar para cosas menos triviales, sin ataques o acusaciones personales?

Desde ya, muy agradecido

Bruno

[Modifié le 2012-05-17 02:30 GMT]

Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 22:10
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Bored people May 17, 2012

We can we do? This is so boring!!

I know!!! There is this forum for translators where my uncle writes all the time. Let’s use Google Translate to post in Spanish and see what they say. Let's make everyone talk their lungs out!! Yeah!!

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 06:10
portugalski > angielski
+ ...
Just a thought May 17, 2012

If I may just justify my ‘Like’ of Will Masters’ post: it was borne of support for ending attacks and mocking people who are newbies to the business and wanting to explore new avenues. I feel that ProZ should stand out from other very unpleasant fora where people see an opportunity to vent, criticise and generally demonstrate unpleasantness and lack of respect for others. The same is happening in KudoZ to the point where I think some people are becoming afraid to ask or even answer questio... See more
If I may just justify my ‘Like’ of Will Masters’ post: it was borne of support for ending attacks and mocking people who are newbies to the business and wanting to explore new avenues. I feel that ProZ should stand out from other very unpleasant fora where people see an opportunity to vent, criticise and generally demonstrate unpleasantness and lack of respect for others. The same is happening in KudoZ to the point where I think some people are becoming afraid to ask or even answer questions and it is becoming dominated by opportunists. Let us remind ourselves that this is a forum for us to exchange ideas, discuss issues, offer mentoring advice to others and support one another in a profession that is very poorly understood. As Will says, let’s behave like the professionals we claim to be.

I don’t know whether the OP is serious or not but it wouldn't have taken long to find out, if we’d given him a chance.

I agree, Alex, you did actually try to offer constructive advice but not all of us here did. Let’s remember that we all started somewhere.

[Edited at 2012-05-17 07:51 GMT]
Collapse

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

donde puedo traducir por gratis?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »