Is the White House trying to push down Spanish translation rates?
Автор темы: TransOl (X)
TransOl (X)
TransOl (X)  Identity Verified
английский => испанский
+ ...
Jan 27, 2002

The other day a colleague sent me this *very official* document: http://www.whitehouse.org/espanol.asp Isn’t it wildly funny?. Especially amusing is when she says: “cuál madre presentaría a la barraca de la herramienta en una bandeja de la TELEVISION de bambú con una botella” Translators doing crack? Surprisingly enough, this piece of hilarious krypto-Spanish is in fact a tip of an iceberg: An iceberg of... See more
The other day a colleague sent me this *very official* document: http://www.whitehouse.org/espanol.asp Isn’t it wildly funny?. Especially amusing is when she says: “cuál madre presentaría a la barraca de la herramienta en una bandeja de la TELEVISION de bambú con una botella” Translators doing crack? Surprisingly enough, this piece of hilarious krypto-Spanish is in fact a tip of an iceberg: An iceberg of frozen Spanish thawing into the warmer oceans of English. Bi-lingual educators, technocrats, SYSTRANizers, and globalizators are in fact cooking the melting pot of the New Spanish. Immigration and technology are adding the final ingredients: Spanglish, niuyorrican, chicanoglés, TexMexano, español, castellano. Which one is “more” correct? The following taken from a training manual of a US bank: “Para recomputar el balanceo situado en firme, favor primero corra a el modulo de conteo de limpieza de cuenta” Actually meaning: “to recompute the outstanding balance, please run first the ‘clearing account’ accounting module” Just for fun, read this: http://orbita.starmedia.com/~sohail/menutur.htm. Now which one is more funny Mrs. Arbusto’s or the Gallego’s menu? Jokes apart, this mega-trend of the New Spanish, is seriously harming the translation business and of course **your rates**. Is the White House contributing to the end of Spanish? Or: Is in fact a mischievous scheme to push down translator’s rates by using BABELfishers? Tell me what you think. And have fun reading the links!.Collapse

Eugenia Corbo
Eugenia Corbo  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:05
английский => испанский
+ ...
It's a parody... Jan 28, 2002

Carlos... I might bring you some relief to know that the site whitehouse.org is a parody... (check out chickenhead.com)

I would like to think the translation is a parody too... although I\'m not so sure about that.

cheungmo
cheungmo
английский => французский
+ ...
Its a parody Jan 28, 2002

The site at www.whitehouse.org is a parody.

See http://www.whitehouse.org/copyrights.asp

I would have thought the \"President Bush begins each day at the crack of nine o\'clock kneeling on the floor of the Oval Office in his Batman flannel feety-pajamas, holding hands with a group of Christian m
... See more
The site at www.whitehouse.org is a parody.

See http://www.whitehouse.org/copyrights.asp

I would have thought the \"President Bush begins each day at the crack of nine o\'clock kneeling on the floor of the Oval Office in his Batman flannel feety-pajamas, holding hands with a group of Christian men.\" on the prayer warrior page would be a dead giveaway.
Collapse

TransOl (X)
TransOl (X)  Identity Verified
английский => испанский
+ ...
Автор темы
Yes *I know* it is a parody !!! Jan 28, 2002

But: What about the REAL TREND on the evolution of Spanish? This is what I really mean. Too bad that IRONY, rethoric, and sophistic are not taught in the schools anymore!!

Read carefully and you will understand my point. Do not let the funny side of my posting shadow your understanding.

Thanks.

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Аргентина
Local time: 10:05
английский => испанский
That doesn't mean you shouldn't worry Jan 28, 2002

It is true that the whitehouse.org site is bogus, but the translations at the real White House site (www.whitehouse.gov), though better than the example given, are a bit on the pedestrian side. You can find things such as: \"discursos radial del Presidente\" \"aumento de pago\" \"debemos tomar acción\" \"Todas las visitas son significativamente realzadas si los visitantes pasan por el Centro de Visitantes de l... See more
It is true that the whitehouse.org site is bogus, but the translations at the real White House site (www.whitehouse.gov), though better than the example given, are a bit on the pedestrian side. You can find things such as: \"discursos radial del Presidente\" \"aumento de pago\" \"debemos tomar acción\" \"Todas las visitas son significativamente realzadas si los visitantes pasan por el Centro de Visitantes de la Casa Blanca\" \"Los oficiales de visitas están estacionados (stationed) por toda la casa para responder preguntas.\"

Or maybe I\'m just picky, though

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-29 13:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-29 13:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-29 13:15 ]
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:05
английский => испанский
+ ...
Bush's Spanish... Feb 22, 2002

When the election campaign was going full blast in the USA, I started checking Bush and Gore\'s sites, to see what their promises were (besides hot air). I saw both of them had Spanish versions of their sites, so I started checking them out of curiosity. Gore\'s Spanish was OK, on the limp side, but OK. Bush\'s was... A pile of crap. So, I wrote a long e-mail to the contact address, pulling some of the errors and offering my services as translator... ... See more
When the election campaign was going full blast in the USA, I started checking Bush and Gore\'s sites, to see what their promises were (besides hot air). I saw both of them had Spanish versions of their sites, so I started checking them out of curiosity. Gore\'s Spanish was OK, on the limp side, but OK. Bush\'s was... A pile of crap. So, I wrote a long e-mail to the contact address, pulling some of the errors and offering my services as translator... Still waiting! I guess he won\'t write now that he is president.

Un saludito a todos,

P.
Collapse

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Аргентина
Local time: 10:05
английский => испанский
No, I don't think they will answer... Feb 22, 2002

I did think of writing a mail to the WH with comments about their Spanish translation and if they wouldn\'t prefer a real translator to do the job. But I took for granted that they would not bother to answer.

I suppose the texts are translated by secretaries or interns, as they do in really cheapskate companies. But it is the White House we are talking about, not just any old five-and-dime.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the White House trying to push down Spanish translation rates?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »