Cannot update AVG antivirus and antispyware database
Autor wątku: Spanish-English Translator
Spanish-English Translator
Local time: 19:35
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
May 30, 2009

In February 2009, I downloaded a free version of AVG 8.0.238. Since May 12, I cannot update the AntiVirus and AntiSpyware database. There appears the following message: Access is forbidden by the server. I use Windows XP.

Alessandra Martelli (X)
Alessandra Martelli (X)  Identity Verified
Włochy
Local time: 00:35
angielski > włoski
+ ...
Check your firewall or install AVG once again May 30, 2009

Hi

I use AVG version 9.0.0.12 (running Windows XP as well) and it is working (I set a daily update and a daily complete system scan).

I had the same problem like a year ago and it was because my version of the program was not supporting updates anymore, I just downloaded the latest version and it started working again.

Give a check to your firewall setting and if nothing has changed in the fi
... See more
Hi

I use AVG version 9.0.0.12 (running Windows XP as well) and it is working (I set a daily update and a daily complete system scan).

I had the same problem like a year ago and it was because my version of the program was not supporting updates anymore, I just downloaded the latest version and it started working again.

Give a check to your firewall setting and if nothing has changed in the firewall setting simply download the latest version of the program.

Hope this will help you
Collapse

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Where is the firewall? May 30, 2009

Dear Alessandra, Thank you for your help. Where is my firewall? To download a new version of AVG, should I uninstall the one I have at present? Thanks and regards, AT

Alessandra Martelli (X)
Włochy
angielski > włoski
+ ...
No need to uninstall May 30, 2009

Hi AT, you're welcome

If you didn't install a firewall yourself (something like Zone Alarm) you don't have one but you still need to check out the standard Windows firewall (start -> control panel -> Windows firewall).

In the Window firewall screen there are three tabs (general, exceptions - or something like that - and advanced settings), just click on the second one (the exceptions one, that is the tab
... See more
Hi AT, you're welcome

If you didn't install a firewall yourself (something like Zone Alarm) you don't have one but you still need to check out the standard Windows firewall (start -> control panel -> Windows firewall).

In the Window firewall screen there are three tabs (general, exceptions - or something like that - and advanced settings), just click on the second one (the exceptions one, that is the tab telling you which programs are actually allowed to connect the Internet without being blocked by the firewall) and search for AVG

IF the program is in the list, you have to check the little square you find next to the name in order to allow the program to connect to the Internet.

IF the program is not listed, you can add it to the list by clicking "add program" and selecting it from the dialog box appearing (showing all the programs you have on your computer), then be sure the little square is checked and click "apply" or "ok".

If AVG is not working yet, just download the newest version and run the setup, you don't need to uninstall the previous version.

Hope this will work

PS If you have any trouble just send me a private message and I'll give you my MSN id, I'll be online tonight and available for support

[Edited at 2009-05-30 18:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-05-31 07:12 GMT]
Collapse

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Problem persists with new AVG version May 30, 2009

Dear Alessandra, Thank you for your help and support. I checked my Windows firewall settings. They were set to the lowest option. So, I downloaded the new AVG version: 8.5. The new icon replaced the old one. I reset the PC. Then I went to AVG control panel, to find that the antivirus and antispyware database were not updated. The last update was dated May 14. I tried to update them and the same error message appeared.
I used free Nod antivirus for one year (2008). May I downloaded it agai
... See more
Dear Alessandra, Thank you for your help and support. I checked my Windows firewall settings. They were set to the lowest option. So, I downloaded the new AVG version: 8.5. The new icon replaced the old one. I reset the PC. Then I went to AVG control panel, to find that the antivirus and antispyware database were not updated. The last update was dated May 14. I tried to update them and the same error message appeared.
I used free Nod antivirus for one year (2008). May I downloaded it again? Three months have elapsed since my free year expired. Best regards, AT.

[Editado a las 2009-05-30 20:46 GMT]
Collapse

Alessandra Martelli (X)
Włochy
angielski > włoski
+ ...
Don't know Nod.. May 30, 2009

Dear AT,

unluckily I don't know Nod Antivirus so I cannot tell you how it works, but I can recommend you Avira AntiVir, you can download it following this link:

http://www.free-av.com/

This is the best free antivirus I ever tried and the basic version is totally free and easy to use. Just download it and replace AVG (I run both of them on my PC - I'm kind of a security freak
... See more
Dear AT,

unluckily I don't know Nod Antivirus so I cannot tell you how it works, but I can recommend you Avira AntiVir, you can download it following this link:

This is the best free antivirus I ever tried and the basic version is totally free and easy to use. Just download it and replace AVG (I run both of them on my PC - I'm kind of a security freak - and both of them work, but I prefer this one I'm suggesting you).

The basic feature doesn't include Spyware, but you can easily download some other free software, just like SpyBot Search & destroy:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

Just let me know if you fixed the trouble
Collapse

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Włochy
francuski > angielski
beware AVG! Jun 1, 2009

[quote]Alessandra Martelli wrote:

, but I can recommend you Avira AntiVir, you can download it following this link:

Just to warn others that I have had big problems with AVG 8.5 (with Vista). First it refused to update. I then tried to disinstall and reinstall the new version. This was completely impossible. Worse though is that AVG had messed up my system and prevented me from loading MS Word files. After a morning of worry about not being able to work and reinstalling MS Word unnecessarily I read on the internet that AVG had blocked other peoples versions of word. I then had to hunt down AVG files manually and eliminate them to get Word to work again

Thanks then for your reco of Avira which seems to have better reviews than AVG and is now working smoothly on my computer

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentyna
Członek ProZ.com
od 2005

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Update it manually Jun 1, 2009

Hi!

The same has been happening to me since April.

Just go to

http://free.avg.com/download-update

download the corresponding files.

Then open AVG User Interface, go to Tools > Update from directory, choose the directory where the files are stored, click OK, and the software will begin updating.

I´ve been doing this every mo
... See more
Hi!

The same has been happening to me since April.

Just go to

http://free.avg.com/download-update

download the corresponding files.

Then open AVG User Interface, go to Tools > Update from directory, choose the directory where the files are stored, click OK, and the software will begin updating.

I´ve been doing this every morning since I read that they were having problems with their server capacity for AVG free users.

Hope this helps.

Marina
Collapse

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Marina, thanks Jun 3, 2009

Marina,
Now I am going to AVG website and updating my database manually.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Regards,
AT

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot update AVG antivirus and antispyware database

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »