Larisa Zlatic, Ph.D.
Larisa Zlatic, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 16:21
Člen (2004)
angličtina -> srbština
+ ...
Jan 20, 2013

I am using Office / Word 2010 on a new computer which is running Windows 7 Ultimate. I normally work in several languages and, when editing a Word document, I switch between them using the language bar. On this new computer, for some languages, I cannot switch unless I hit the space key just after making my language bar selection. This is only for 2 of the 5 languages I work in, the others the languages behave normally. There must be some control setting that isn't set properly, but I have ... See more
I am using Office / Word 2010 on a new computer which is running Windows 7 Ultimate. I normally work in several languages and, when editing a Word document, I switch between them using the language bar. On this new computer, for some languages, I cannot switch unless I hit the space key just after making my language bar selection. This is only for 2 of the 5 languages I work in, the others the languages behave normally. There must be some control setting that isn't set properly, but I have no idea what it is. If I cannot find an easy solution, I am planning on reinstalling my operating system and I have already tried reinstalling Word 2010, so there is no need to recommend those things. But, if anyone has solved this problem some other way, please let me know. Again, the problem is that when working in a Word document in a certain language, you cannot switch to another language through the language bar unless you click on the space key afterwards. This is only a problem in Word, and not other parts of Microsoft Office, for instance, the language bar works normally in PowerPoint.Collapse

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Španělsko
Local time: 23:21
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
Don't reinstall system Jan 21, 2013

I'm sorry but I don't have a solution for this problem, however given the fact that you have perfectly identified the problem and all it requires is hitting the space bar I think reinstalling the system would be serious overkill.

Apart from the fact that reinstalling your system entails reinstalling all your programs and resetting all your preferences which is usually a lengthy process and can be plagued with any number of problems, there is absolutely no guarantee it will solve the
... See more
I'm sorry but I don't have a solution for this problem, however given the fact that you have perfectly identified the problem and all it requires is hitting the space bar I think reinstalling the system would be serious overkill.

Apart from the fact that reinstalling your system entails reinstalling all your programs and resetting all your preferences which is usually a lengthy process and can be plagued with any number of problems, there is absolutely no guarantee it will solve the problem so you could well spend all of that time for nothing.
Collapse

Larisa Zlatic, Ph.D.
Spojené státy americké
Člen (2004)
angličtina -> srbština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
Uninstall Word Jan 21, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. You are right that a reinstall of the operating system is a lot of work and is not guaranteed to solve the problem. So, I do want to avoid doing that if I can. This reminds me that I should probably ask for feedback about uninstalling and reinstalling Word. I'd said I'd done that, and I had. But, I did it the typical way where I use the built-in windows Installer to do the job, and I think that it does not do a thorough uninstall. I have been told that the wind... See more
Thank you for your feedback. You are right that a reinstall of the operating system is a lot of work and is not guaranteed to solve the problem. So, I do want to avoid doing that if I can. This reminds me that I should probably ask for feedback about uninstalling and reinstalling Word. I'd said I'd done that, and I had. But, I did it the typical way where I use the built-in windows Installer to do the job, and I think that it does not do a thorough uninstall. I have been told that the windows installer does not touch windows registry settings that relate to user preferences, when it does an uninstall. Maybe this is why my uninstall-reinstall did not work, maybe the uninstall was not thorough enough. If anyone has done an uninstall of Word in a way they consider thorough, i.e., an uninstall that removes user preferences for Word (which is likely where my settings are corrupted), I'd appreciate hearing how you did it.Collapse

Larisa Zlatic, Ph.D.
Spojené státy americké
Člen (2004)
angličtina -> srbština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
update Jan 30, 2013

I did the uninstall and reinstall of the operating system last weekend. When I installed Office 2010 on the fresh operating system, the language bar worked properly, the problem had disappeared. I then installed other programs, the last of which was Trados 2007 and 2009. After that, the problem with the language bar reappeared once again. So, I believe that this problem is due to an interaction between Word and between either Trados 2007 or 2009, and the particular hardware on my computer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2010 language bar problem

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »