Thread poster: David Warwick
David Warwick
David Warwick  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:05
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, and how efficient is the forwarding? Oct 21, 2004

Thanks to all for your useful comments. I think the way forward is registering a domain and setting up email forwarding, which will allow me to juggle my providers as my situation changes.

However, I would like to know how efficient the email forwarding tends to be. When I had free email forwarding from b*gfoot the service was irregular. Sometimes it would be instantaneous, but at others the emails would be lost for minutes or hours before arriving, which was unacceptable. As a resu
... See more
Thanks to all for your useful comments. I think the way forward is registering a domain and setting up email forwarding, which will allow me to juggle my providers as my situation changes.

However, I would like to know how efficient the email forwarding tends to be. When I had free email forwarding from b*gfoot the service was irregular. Sometimes it would be instantaneous, but at others the emails would be lost for minutes or hours before arriving, which was unacceptable. As a result I was forced to leave them, and change my email AGAIN. Can anyone that has experience of forwarding from a webhosting service comment on the reliability and timeliness of such services? Has anyone had particularly good experiences with UK-based companies?

thanks again
Collapse

Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 05:05
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Excellent e-mail forwarding Oct 21, 2004

David Warwick wrote:

However, I would like to know how efficient the email forwarding tends to be. When I had free email forwarding from b*gfoot the service was irregular. Sometimes it would be instantaneous, but at others the emails would be lost for minutes or hours before arriving, which was unacceptable. As a result I was forced to leave them, and change my email AGAIN. Can anyone that has experience of forwarding from a webhosting service comment on the reliability and timeliness of such services? Has anyone had particularly good experiences with UK-based companies?

thanks again

Hi David,

I used to have a non-ICANN accredited registrar and the e-mail forwarding didn't always work perfectly, i.e. there were delays at times. I also got a bit of spam, not much, but still... The one I have now, which is ICANN-accredited works wonderfully, I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever. My e-mails arrive instantly. It may, of course, have nothing to do with ICANN-accreditation and be just a matter of the company. My registrar is not UK-based, though, so I cannot help much in this respect.

Good luck!

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Great service through DomainHost Oct 21, 2004

I have been working with DomainHost for over a year now and I am really pleased with the level of customer service they provide.

http://www.domainhost.com/domainhost/index.bml

The interface is really user friendly, making it easy to juggle autoreplies, forwarding, etc. You can use any e-mail client software or their webmail service.

I als
... See more
I have been working with DomainHost for over a year now and I am really pleased with the level of customer service they provide.

http://www.domainhost.com/domainhost/index.bml

The interface is really user friendly, making it easy to juggle autoreplies, forwarding, etc. You can use any e-mail client software or their webmail service.

I also have a website hosted with them, but there is no need to set one up if you just want to use the e-mail addresses associated with your domain name.

Good luck!

Sara
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I don't understand.... Oct 21, 2004

David, why would you WANT to forward from your new domain to b*gfoot, h0tmail, etc.? Don't you think you want to be doing the opposite? Isn't the idea that you set up your domain and transition all your other addresses to this one? Otherwise it seems pointless to me - you would still be subject to the weaknesses of those free email providers.

I'd get the new domain/account up and running, send out an announcement to all current contacts that you have a new address, and then slowly
... See more
David, why would you WANT to forward from your new domain to b*gfoot, h0tmail, etc.? Don't you think you want to be doing the opposite? Isn't the idea that you set up your domain and transition all your other addresses to this one? Otherwise it seems pointless to me - you would still be subject to the weaknesses of those free email providers.

I'd get the new domain/account up and running, send out an announcement to all current contacts that you have a new address, and then slowly phase out the old (freemail) addresses.
Collapse

Marc Adler
Marc Adler
Japanese to English
too true Oct 23, 2004

Dan Larsen wrote:
So you only have to deal with one place.

This is true now, but when I got my website it wasn't. Domain registration companies offered redirects and very simple webpage services (from templates, etc.), and hosting services didn't offer domain registration.

In fact, I see now that my hosting service does register domains.

Marc

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
now and then Oct 26, 2004

These days there is hardly any difference between hosting companies and actual registrars. They both offer domain registration and hosting plans. The only difference is that the hosting companies have to order the domains from a registrar, but it is not something the ordinary customer notices.

MarcAdler wrote:

In fact, I see now that my hosting service does register domains.

Marc

David Warwick
David Warwick  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:05
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks to everyone Nov 10, 2004

Thanks again for all your help. I have finally taken the plunge and now have my own domain, and the extensive support the company provides means I'm learning fast about what's involved. I had to pay extra for my own smtp server so I could send mail from Outlook, but at only around £1 per month it hardly seems expensive. Email speeds have varied: sometimes lightening fast, at others a little slow; I'll hang onto second address just in case. Perhaps I'll have this one forever...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What about spam? Nov 12, 2004

David Warwick wrote:
I'm prepared to pay if it means I can choose an address and stick with it forever, regardless of whether I change provider or country.

Get a domain... but once the spammers get you, you're gonna have to change anyway.

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:35
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
How about multiple email id's? Jan 30, 2005

I have got 10 email id's, of which two are feemails and the rest freemails. I ask my client to mail his attachment to my various id's at the same time by using the cc option. I tell him that this ensures my getting the files at the earliest. Of my id's, I have the highest regard for the 'web.de' one, which is the fastest as far as my experience goes and this is a freemail!

In fact the socalled feemails 'vsnl.net' and 'eth.net' are quite slower, I am sorry to say.

In the
... See more
I have got 10 email id's, of which two are feemails and the rest freemails. I ask my client to mail his attachment to my various id's at the same time by using the cc option. I tell him that this ensures my getting the files at the earliest. Of my id's, I have the highest regard for the 'web.de' one, which is the fastest as far as my experience goes and this is a freemail!

In fact the socalled feemails 'vsnl.net' and 'eth.net' are quite slower, I am sorry to say.

In the same manner, if my client has more than one email id, I send back the job to all of them. One would like to be sure!

It is just like the case of a harassed son-in-law, whose mother-in-law decided at last to kick the bucket. When asked if he wanted her cremated or buried, he was not taking any chances. He told them firmly to cremate her and then to bury the ashes!

Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2005-01-30 10:49]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Never change email again.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »