Sample Translations
Thread poster: georg schreiner
georg schreiner
georg schreiner
Local time: 03:45
German to English
Jan 21, 2002

I have always worked freelance, but recently decided to answer ad to do some work for a translation agency. In response they sent three seperate, full-page, complete texts, and asked me to translate them, to see if I rated an interview. Is this normal? The longest sample text I have ever been given was one page. Three seems excessive. Any opinions?

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Show them you're a professional Jan 22, 2002

Three full pages is really outrageous. Pick a random 200-word sample and translate that. Tell them that that should give them an idea of the quality of your work. If it\'s a professional agency ánd the quality of your translation is good, they will certainly contact you.

A three-page sample translation is outrageous, 200 words is rather normal.

Not letting them fool you, is also a sign of professionalism.

Good luck!

Joeri

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:45
English to Spanish
Are they different texts or all the same? Jan 22, 2002

I am asking because you say \"separate, complete texts.\" Some agencies send you batches of tests for different subjects, that is, a text on economics, another technical, etc. If this is the case you should complete the ones you are qualified to translate because of your specialty or experience. On the other hand, a single three-page text for a test is ridiculous. I\'ve heard (though this has never happened to me) of agencies that send small projects as tests to freelancers, paying them nothing ... See more
I am asking because you say \"separate, complete texts.\" Some agencies send you batches of tests for different subjects, that is, a text on economics, another technical, etc. If this is the case you should complete the ones you are qualified to translate because of your specialty or experience. On the other hand, a single three-page text for a test is ridiculous. I\'ve heard (though this has never happened to me) of agencies that send small projects as tests to freelancers, paying them nothing but charging their clients on their turn for the job. As I\'ve said, as far as I know this is an Internet legend, but in any case, three-pages for a test is way over the top. About half a page is the usual.Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:45
French to English
Too long Jan 22, 2002

Your instinct is right. This is way too much for a test. You could offer to do 200-300 words or send them your own samples.

FWIW, anytime I\'ve done a test for an agency, I never heard back from them again. I no longer do tests, but offer to send samples.

Erika

Quote:

On 2002-01-21 21:56, g.schre wrote:

I have always worked freelance, but recently decided to answer ad t... See more
Your instinct is right. This is way too much for a test. You could offer to do 200-300 words or send them your own samples.

FWIW, anytime I\'ve done a test for an agency, I never heard back from them again. I no longer do tests, but offer to send samples.

Erika

Quote:

I have always worked freelance, but recently decided to answer ad to do some work for a translation agency. In response they sent three seperate, full-page, complete texts, and asked me to translate them, to see if I rated an interview. Is this normal? The longest sample text I have ever been given was one page. Three seems excessive. Any opinions?

Collapse

georg schreiner
georg schreiner
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice... Jan 22, 2002

in the meantime i realized that this subject has come up here before... i guess i\'ve been lucky not to have to deal with this in 10 years of translating. i never had a problem with doing a short sample and it has served me well in the past. i went ahead with a 200 word sample in this case as well, but i also did a little research - the agency is large and well established, and the texts (given their context) seemed to be fairly old. now i wonder if it is a scam (in which case i\'m not inter... See more
in the meantime i realized that this subject has come up here before... i guess i\'ve been lucky not to have to deal with this in 10 years of translating. i never had a problem with doing a short sample and it has served me well in the past. i went ahead with a 200 word sample in this case as well, but i also did a little research - the agency is large and well established, and the texts (given their context) seemed to be fairly old. now i wonder if it is a scam (in which case i\'m not interested in working with them) or if they just have a strange idea of how to do buisness... thanks for your advice!Collapse

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
It's probably a scam Jan 22, 2002

Unreliable agencies often use \"translation tests\" to get, in reality, free translations.

This is a common trick and you should be careful in dealing with this agency.

Luca

Quote:

On 2002-01-22 17:43, epavelka wrote:

FWIW, any... See more
Unreliable agencies often use \"translation tests\" to get, in reality, free translations.

This is a common trick and you should be careful in dealing with this agency.

Luca

Quote:

On 2002-01-22 17:43, epavelka wrote:

Erika

Quote:

Collapse

allys
allys  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
It’s for you to decide! Jan 22, 2002

Dear Georg,

I thinks it is for you to decide – to do test translation or not. If translation agency is well-known with a lot of upcoming projects I think it is worth doing the test. I did a test translation of more than 1700 words to obtain a position in Berlitz GlobalNET – for free. Reputable and well-known translation agencies often pay for test translation though it’s not a common practice.

Best regards, Alexander

[ This Mess
... See more
Dear Georg,

I thinks it is for you to decide – to do test translation or not. If translation agency is well-known with a lot of upcoming projects I think it is worth doing the test. I did a test translation of more than 1700 words to obtain a position in Berlitz GlobalNET – for free. Reputable and well-known translation agencies often pay for test translation though it’s not a common practice.

Best regards, Alexander

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-22 19:47 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sample Translations

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »