Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 11, 2011

G'day everyone

A client of mine wants me to use Across for one of her clients, so I installed it. But now three SQL tasks start up every time I start Windows, even if I'm not using Across at all:

sqlservr.exe
sqlbrowser.exe
sqlwriter.exe

I suspect Across needs them, so I can't simply delete them (that is what I do with tasks that should not run). How can I get them to not start when Windows starts, and only start with Across runs?

... See more
G'day everyone

A client of mine wants me to use Across for one of her clients, so I installed it. But now three SQL tasks start up every time I start Windows, even if I'm not using Across at all:

sqlservr.exe
sqlbrowser.exe
sqlwriter.exe

I suspect Across needs them, so I can't simply delete them (that is what I do with tasks that should not run). How can I get them to not start when Windows starts, and only start with Across runs?

I'm using Windows XP SP2.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:45
English to Turkish
+ ...
Administrative Tools > Services Aug 11, 2011

Hi Samuel,

You can change startup settings through Administrative Tools > Services but I hope it will not cause any negative effects on your system.

Selcuk

Manticore (X)
Manticore (X)  Identity Verified

English to German
+ ...
Why don't Aug 12, 2011

you install the latest WinXP service pack as stated by Across as a system requirement? On one of my backup PCs I still have XP and no problem whatsoever.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SP3 Aug 12, 2011

Manticore wrote:
You install the latest WinXP service pack as stated by Across as a system requirement?

Hmm, you're right... SP3 is a requirement (although that is only stated in the small print, as a footnote). Still, Across seems to run fine on my computer.

On one of my backup PCs I still have XP and no problem whatsoever.

I also have no problem... if you don't regard useless tasks running in the background as a problem.

But I don't want stuff running that don't need to run. For example, just recently I discovered that MemoQ also has a file that runs every time I start Windows (AUClient.exe), and I don't use MemoQ at all (I only installed it to see what it does), so why run it at all? With MemoQ I can simply rename the file to "AUClient_exe" and it won't run again, but I plan to use Across in the next week or two, so I can't simply rename the EXE files, because then Across won't run.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, I set it to "manual" Aug 12, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
You can change startup settings through Administrative Tools > Services but I hope it will not cause any negative effects on your system.

I set it to "manual", so hopefully it'll start when needed.

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
It won't... Aug 12, 2011

and you only need the MSSQL$ACROSS service. You could create a batch file to start both the program and the service simultaniously.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Batch file Aug 12, 2011

Zoltán Kulcsár wrote:
You only need the MSSQL$ACROSS service. You could create a batch file to start both the program and the service simultaniously.

Can you please tell me what the DOS command would be for starting it, so that I can put it in the BAT file?

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
. Aug 12, 2011

net start MSSQL$ACROSS

Teplocteur
Teplocteur  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
take the following steps Aug 12, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Zoltán Kulcsár wrote:
You only need the MSSQL$ACROSS service. You could create a batch file to start both the program and the service simultaniously.

Can you please tell me what the DOS command would be for starting it, so that I can put it in the BAT file?

Start>Program>MS SQL Server 2005 configuration tools>SQL Server Configuration Manager>SQL Server 2005 Services> right click "SQL Server (ACROSS)" and "SQL Browser" respectively, and click "stop". That's ok.
I have had the same problem in my operating system.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:45
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks Neyle! Aug 12, 2011

That fixed it. I just changed both services to "Manual" and will start them if and when I need them, i.e., only when I want to actually use Across.

Michael

Teplocteur
Teplocteur  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
Don't mention it! :) Aug 14, 2011

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

That fixed it. I just changed both services to "Manual" and will start them if and when I need them, i.e., only when I want to actually use Across.

Michael

Don't mention it! Keep in touch, Michael!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to kill those SQL tasks

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »