CrossTank TM
Thread poster: Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:32
French to English
Feb 26, 2011

I am currently transferring my wordfast memories to Across using TMX files.
Am I right in saying that there is only a single cross-tank memory for each language pair?
If this is so surely the Translation Memory must rapidly become enormous and unwieldy
How do you create different TMs for different subjects with Across?
Many thanks for some rapid expert advice.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:32
English to Turkish
+ ...
Single TM Feb 26, 2011

You can not create multiple TMs but add and edit attributes (subject, relation, status, project). Details are documented in the help files. By the way, I reject all Across projects.

AAV
AAV
Local time: 02:32
You can create multiple TMs Feb 28, 2011

Tools -> Profile settings -> crossTank/Storing : uncheck "Prevent multiple translations by overwritting...".

Nicholas Stedman
Italy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Selcuk for you help, but Feb 28, 2011

you didn't completely answer my question.
I'm importing my TMX memories and am wondering if there is something I should know before doing so as they apparently will all be amalgamated in one big (gigantic) memory. The manual is about 700 pages and I havn't much time this week to read it.
I was wondering if the complaints by other people in this forum about how long and cumbersone Across is are due to the fact that there is just one TM.
Otherwise I find Across excellent and hav
... See more
you didn't completely answer my question.
I'm importing my TMX memories and am wondering if there is something I should know before doing so as they apparently will all be amalgamated in one big (gigantic) memory. The manual is about 700 pages and I havn't much time this week to read it.
I was wondering if the complaints by other people in this forum about how long and cumbersone Across is are due to the fact that there is just one TM.
Otherwise I find Across excellent and have had no problems with it at all after 3 days (a big difference to Trados) so perhaps you could give some precise reasons why you don't like it.
¨PS installation was very smooth with Vista and 7 and there is no problem about importing TMX memories
Collapse

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Not really a "TM" Feb 28, 2011

Hello NR_Stedman,

crossTank is not really a TM as we know it from other CATs, it is a real data bank (SQL). It's like a matrix with many dimensions: source language, target language, subject, client, etc etc. If you plan to store in crossTank only your personal translations, don't worry about it becoming enormous, the volume of work of a freelancer crossTank can deal with without problems at all. If you plan to import large-scale third-party TMs, then you'll have to count on long im
... See more
Hello NR_Stedman,

crossTank is not really a TM as we know it from other CATs, it is a real data bank (SQL). It's like a matrix with many dimensions: source language, target language, subject, client, etc etc. If you plan to store in crossTank only your personal translations, don't worry about it becoming enormous, the volume of work of a freelancer crossTank can deal with without problems at all. If you plan to import large-scale third-party TMs, then you'll have to count on long import times (and export times, if you later need to use the contents in other CAT). The was the case when I imported the TMs from the EU (http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html). It took crossTank 22 hours to import about a 10th of the whole volume in my language pair, and when using the EU contents in my translations, crossTank became a bit slower after that.
Anyway, I did many times the export and import operation of parts of my crossTank, it worked without a flaw. I can understand that you feel a bit unsafe, after all the segments get aggregated in a unit and this means less transparency, and as far as I know you cannot simply take the corresponding files and send them to someone or copy them to use in an across installation in another machine, you always need a special backup tool to do that. But the crossTank concept has many advantages, one of them being the possibility of searching different languages simultaneously.

Anyway, because of some limitations I am using across only seldom, just for jobs in which I have to access my client's across server.

Good luck!
Collapse

Nicholas Stedman
Italy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Even more complex than I expected Feb 28, 2011

Thanks a lot Marcos for your explanation although I'm not any nearer to my goal of understanding how to manage TM with Across.
For instance if I merge all my Wordfast TMs in Across, I can later only export from Across a TMX with far too many translation units to be manageable again in Wordfast, so it means that passage to Across is irreversible?
Also for someone who regularly works with 2 or 3 computers, how can you keep the TM updated on all three computers with Across. This is an
... See more
Thanks a lot Marcos for your explanation although I'm not any nearer to my goal of understanding how to manage TM with Across.
For instance if I merge all my Wordfast TMs in Across, I can later only export from Across a TMX with far too many translation units to be manageable again in Wordfast, so it means that passage to Across is irreversible?
Also for someone who regularly works with 2 or 3 computers, how can you keep the TM updated on all three computers with Across. This is an easy job with Wordfast and just means moving a folder of TM's around from one computer to another
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Reason for rejection? Jul 18, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
By the way, I reject all Across projects.

Hi Selcuk,

Just out of interest, why do you reject Across projects?

Thanks,

Dominique

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Reasons... Jul 18, 2011

Hi Dominique,

I (can) translate all projects with DVX2, including Studio SDLXLIFF, Trados Bilingual RTF, TagEditor, SDLX, Transit, MemoQ and Wordfast TXML projects. But it is not possible to translate Across projects with other CAT tools. At least the workaround is not so easy.

Well, I can directly translate in Across but I don't find it a user-friendly and productive program and therefore reject all Across projects.

Selcuk

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
How about the TMX route? Jul 18, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
I (can) translate all projects with DVX2, including Studio SDLXLIFF, Trados Bilingual RTF, TagEditor, SDLX, Transit, MemoQ and Wordfast TXML projects. But it is not possible to translate Across projects with other CAT tools. At least the workaround is not so easy.

I agree the lack of an exportable bilingual format is a major PITA. How about copying source to target, committing to CrossTank and exporting to TMX? Would that be the "not so easy" workaround?

Cheers, Dominique

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TMX Jul 18, 2011

TMX is the only solution, provided that your CAT tool is capable of translating TMX files. I tested it with DVX and it works. For details see http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/message/100621

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CrossTank TM

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »