صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]
Poll: As a rule, how much would you be willing to translate or review for free as a favor?
ناشر الموضوع: ProZ.com Staff
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 19:38
ياباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
review for free? Apr 25, 2022

If you review for an agency, you may be giving a potential replacement a foot up.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
البرازيل
Local time: 20:38
عضو (2014)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
Other Apr 26, 2022

Of course this depends on the client. The question is incomplete.
For a regular client that sends me jobs all the time for many years, of course I'm not going to charge for eventual phrases they ask me to translate by e-mail.
For potential clients with a good review in the Blue Board, I'm willing to do a test of up to 300 words.
In most other cases, I guess I woudn't do it.

neilmac

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
اليونان
Local time: 02:38
يوناني إلى أنجليزي
Other Apr 26, 2022

Assuming the numbers in the options refer to words, they are all immaterial.

If I do a free translation as a favour for a friend or family member, I don't care whether it's 25 words or 250. If we start getting into the thousands, then maybe that would make a difference, but as far as I'm concerned all the options offered in this poll are equivalent.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
neilmac

neilmac
neilmac
أسبانيا
Local time: 01:38
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Other Apr 26, 2022

I've told this story before but here it is again:
A few years ago, a young former acrobat from my local area suffering from spinal injuries asked me to help out by translating a website for a spinal injury related website, featuring a well-known researcher from a respected institution in the region, who had apparently achieved stunning breakthroughs in spinal surgery, and was on the point of starting to work on human patients. As it seemed like a good cause, I did the job, which would usua
... See more
I've told this story before but here it is again:
A few years ago, a young former acrobat from my local area suffering from spinal injuries asked me to help out by translating a website for a spinal injury related website, featuring a well-known researcher from a respected institution in the region, who had apparently achieved stunning breakthroughs in spinal surgery, and was on the point of starting to work on human patients. As it seemed like a good cause, I did the job, which would usually have cost a few hundred euros, free of charge. A few months later, I was surprised to find that said lead researcher was now involved in a fraud case, litigated by families who believe they had been misled with claims of a miracle treatment. I don’t recall how the case ended up, and it may still be ongoing, giving the slowness of the Spanish justice system. I’ve also done the odd freebie for what I considered deserving cases in the past, but that website was the biggest.
Collapse

danya
danya
Local time: 02:38
أنجليزي إلى روسي
+ ...
I answered assuming words as a unit of measure Apr 26, 2022

I am ready to do some work pro bono (and have done so in the past), if it's for a friend (a CV or an e-mail) or if it's an interesting project (some creative copy-writing, etc.). It should take me an hour or an hour and a half at most, otherwise I would probably turn it down

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
neilmac

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: As a rule, how much would you be willing to translate or review for free as a favor?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »