صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3]
So when will people stop beginning every statement with "so"?
ناشر الموضوع: Tom in London
Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
هولندا
Local time: 06:12
أنجليزي
+ ...
So, what about this? Oct 22, 2013

I first heard "Thank you so much" in an NY airport restroom on a trip back to the US back in the mid-90s, I think it was... maybe early 90s-late 80s, after being away for a few years. It hurt my ears. It just seemed so wrong. Now it seems to be common use, also in the UK.

Is it just me that finds it affected-- to say the least? It drives me crazy every time I hear it. What's wrong with "Thank you very much"? Isn't "very" enough? Is "so" correctly used (as an intensifier
... See more
I first heard "Thank you so much" in an NY airport restroom on a trip back to the US back in the mid-90s, I think it was... maybe early 90s-late 80s, after being away for a few years. It hurt my ears. It just seemed so wrong. Now it seems to be common use, also in the UK.

Is it just me that finds it affected-- to say the least? It drives me crazy every time I hear it. What's wrong with "Thank you very much"? Isn't "very" enough? Is "so" correctly used (as an intensifier or anything else) here? Thoughts? (Particularly grumpy for some reason this fine fall Tuesday morning.) Thank you so much.

[Edited at 2013-10-22 08:09 GMT]
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 05:12
برتغالي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Thank you SO much Oct 22, 2013

Interesting you should mention that one as the first time I remember hearing it with any frequency was from a Russian girl in an office I once worked in (early 90s). Lovely though she was it did sound affected. I'm now immune and probably wouldn't notice it.

Tom in London
Tom in London
المملكة المتحدة
عضو (2008)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
بادئ الموضوع
On bended knee Oct 22, 2013

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

Interesting you should mention that one as the first time I remember hearing it with any frequency was from a Russian girl in an office I once worked in (early 90s). Lovely though she was it did sound affected. I'm now immune and probably wouldn't notice it.

I think this way of expressing oneself is too much for the understated "don't make a fuss" approach to social relations favoured by the British outlook. Saying "thank you SO much" would be considered "gushing" or "wet". But so long as the person saying it doesn't actually go down on their knees and kiss one's feet, I think it's tolerable.

[Edited at 2013-10-22 08:27 GMT]

Which reminds me of the Italian expression "andare via all'inglese" ("leaving, in the English way"): this consists of quietly leaving a room without announcing it and not saying "goodbye" to anyone.

[Edited at 2013-10-22 08:29 GMT]

Suzan Hamer
هولندا
أنجليزي
+ ...
That's it, Tom. Thanks. Oct 22, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

I think this way of expressing oneself is too much for the understated "don't make a fuss" approach to social relations favoured by the British outlook. Saying "thank you SO much" would be considered "gushing" or "wet". But so long as the person saying it doesn't actually go down on their knees and kiss one's feet, I think it's tolerable.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I think it might be the gushing that drives me nuts --and I'm an American... (tempered though by over a decade in Israel and more than two decades here in the Netherlands; maybe that's why it hurts my ears.) But I am hearing it more and more on the BBC... so the British have been infected too.

Which reminds me of the Italian expression "andare via all'inglese" ("leaving, in the English way"): this consists of quietly leaving a room without announcing it and not saying "goodbye" to anyone.

I must be English then... I hate goodbyes, long or short. What a great expression.

[Edited at 2013-10-22 15:27 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
فرنسا
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
English good-byes Oct 22, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

In French there's "filer à l'anglaise" which neatly translates as "taking French leave" which boils down to the same thing.

Suzan Hamer
هولندا
أنجليزي
+ ...
That's it, Tom. Thanks. Oct 22, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I think it might be the gushing that drives me nuts --and I'm an American... (tempered though by over a decade in Israel and more than two decades here in the Netherlands; maybe that's why it hurts my ears.) But I am hearing it more and more on the BBC... so the British have been infected too.

[Edited at 2013-10-22 08:27 GMT]

I must be English then... I hate goodbyes, long or short. What a great expression.

Tom in London
Tom in London
المملكة المتحدة
عضو (2008)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
بادئ الموضوع
erhmm.... Oct 22, 2013

"filer à l'anglaise" doesn't translate as "taking French leave".

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Yes,... Oct 22, 2013

... I've particularly noticed it from scientists on the radio....

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 00:12
عضو (2007)
أنجليزي إلى فرنسي
+ ...
filer à l'anglaise Oct 22, 2013

'to make a French exit' is often used as an equivalent of 'filer à l'anglaise'

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
أنجليزي إلى لاتيفي
+ ...
no Oct 22, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

It does, Tom, well maybe "to take a French leave" would sound more correct. The Germans offend the French the same way — "sich auf Französisch verabschieden/empfehlen". However, many nations are joking on the expense of others, think alone about all the cases of Dutch in English (courage, nightingale, treat, date, going Dutch etc.).

[Edited at 2013-10-22 22:29 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
المملكة المتحدة
عضو (2008)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
بادئ الموضوع
French? Oct 23, 2013

mjbjosh wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

It does, Tom

For me, "filer à l'anglaise" translates as "taking English leave" but maybe there's something wrong with my French.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
برتغالي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
An explanation Oct 23, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

For me, "filer à l'anglaise" translates as "taking English leave" but maybe there's something wrong with my French.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_leave

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

So when will people stop beginning every statement with "so"?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »