Indie
Local time: 08:30
Člen (2006)
angličtina -> hindština
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
:-) Jun 20, 2013

Triston Goodwin wrote:
Of course, I say you're welcome to the atm's, gas pumps and self service checkout machines when they say thank you. Most people think I'm crazy for doing this, but they've clearly never seen any of the movies where those machines take over the world. I'll need friends when that day comes.

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
Francie
Local time: 05:00
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
It's just not British Jun 20, 2013

We are just not that comfortable with 'have a nice day' in the UK.

However, that does not mean we're not friendly. Go into your local newsagents and they'd be far more likely to call you 'love' or 'mate' (or a regional variant) than 'sir' or 'madam'. They might then say 'cheers, bye now', rather than 'thank you and have a nice day'. In these informal settings - and we love informality - there's no strict code as such as there is in other countries. In France, for example, you'd nev
... See more

However, that does not mean we're not friendly. Go into your local newsagents and they'd be far more likely to call you 'love' or 'mate' (or a regional variant) than 'sir' or 'madam'. They might then say 'cheers, bye now', rather than 'thank you and have a nice day'. In these informal settings - and we love informality - there's no strict code as such as there is in other countries. In France, for example, you'd never say 'salut, à plus' to someone you didn't know when leaving a shop.

To me, 'have a nice day' from a British person just sounds far too wooden and forced, like it's the product of some robotic training programme rather than how they really feel. Although I do realise it's simply polite practice in many other countries.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Francie
francouzština -> angličtina
machines being polite Jun 20, 2013

Triston Goodwin wrote:

Of course, I say you're welcome to the atm's, gas pumps and self service checkout machines when they say thank you. Most people think I'm crazy for doing this, but they've clearly never seen any of the movies where those machines take over the world. I'll need friends when that day comes.

So do I, Triston! although it's more because I'm so pleased they value my custom, I'm that resigned to service with a scowl here in Paris.

Our local bakery has a sweet shop assistant who offers a genuine smile to everyone who walks in. It's so rare, they must have doubled their turnover since she arrived and the boys are more than willing to nip out for a baguette, so I never have to go nowadays.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finsko
Local time: 06:00
Člen (2003)
finština -> němčina
+ ...
It has come to Finland from the US Jun 20, 2013

Glad to hear that in Britain they don't like it also. Here in Finland it probably came through MacDonalds and it nowadays widely spread. I always answer the usual "Hei!" and make a sour face (even more sour as my usual expression).

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Itálie
italština -> angličtina
In memoriam
Buona giornata Jun 20, 2013

The Italian have-a-nice-day-alike "buona giornata" now seems to be a fairly popular leave-taking (which it wasn't not so long ago), particularly in semi-formal circumstances such as transactions in shops, public offices or the workplace.

The only trouble with "have a nice day" in English is that the Americans got there first
... See more
The Italian have-a-nice-day-alike "buona giornata" now seems to be a fairly popular leave-taking (which it wasn't not so long ago), particularly in semi-formal circumstances such as transactions in shops, public offices or the workplace.

The only trouble with "have a nice day" in English is that the Americans got there first
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazílie
Local time: 00:00
angličtina -> portugalština
+ ...
In memoriam
It's part of American culture Jun 20, 2013

Like a videogame ends with "game over" on the screen, a business transaction in the US ends with "Have a nice day!" to provide "closure".

I am used to it when in the US, to the point of mechanically raising a red flag if I don't hear it at the proper time: missing closure. Putting it together with the trite "take care!", I mentally translate the "have a nice day!" uttered at any checkout point as a shortform for "Sir, if you have any intention of dropping dead, kindly do it OUTside
... See more
Like a videogame ends with "game over" on the screen, a business transaction in the US ends with "Have a nice day!" to provide "closure".

I am used to it when in the US, to the point of mechanically raising a red flag if I don't hear it at the proper time: missing closure. Putting it together with the trite "take care!", I mentally translate the "have a nice day!" uttered at any checkout point as a shortform for "Sir, if you have any intention of dropping dead, kindly do it OUTside our premises. Otherwise CSU will seal the place tight, and on your next visit here the prices will be higher, as we'll be trying to recoup for lost business in this meantime". The "take care!" is a shortform for "You'd better try not to drop dead anywhere, either inside or outside our premises".

The funny thing is that the equivalent expressions in (at least in BR) Portuguese, "Tenha um bom dia!" (= Have a nice day!) and "Passe bem!" (~= Stay well) or "Passe muito bem!" (~= Stay very well), if said with any degree of firmness, should be interpreted as "This interaction is definitely over! Go mind your business, and I'll mind mine".

Nevertheless, Brazilian telephone CSRs are obdurately trained to use these very expressions to close their calls. Apparently, as the word "telemarketing" was left untranslated here, those in charge of it assumed that it must be done the American way. This led a massive proportion of Brazilian phone service reps to use what we call "gerundisms", e.g. "I will be forwarding your order to the processing department, and we will be shipping your goods tomorrow". While these are absolutely normal in English, they are not in Portuguese, being immediately spotted as "telemarketese language".
Collapse

Michelle Kusuda
Michelle Kusuda  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 23:00
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
Would you rather they told you "Have a %^&**( /rotten day! ? Jun 20, 2013

I cannot believe this thread! Some of us literally wish the person has a nice day after their interaction with us!

American, so what? It is still a NICE GESTURE! GET OVER IT FOLKS!

___ Have a nice day!*

___ Have a rotten day!*

* = Indicate your selection

Michelle Kusuda
Michelle Kusuda  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 23:00
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
British version would be : Have a B...dy day!" Hahaha Jun 20, 2013

Patrick Stenson wrote:

However, that does not mean we're not friendly. Go into your local newsagents and they'd be far more likely to call you 'love' or 'mate' (or a regional variant) than 'sir' or 'madam'. They might then say 'cheers, bye now', rather than 'thank you and have a nice day'. In these informal settings - and we love informality - there's no strict code as such as there is in other countries. In France, for example, you'd never say 'salut, à plus' to someone you didn't know when leaving a shop.

To me, 'have a nice day' from a British person just sounds far too wooden and forced, like it's the product of some robotic training programme rather than how they really feel. Although I do realise it's simply polite practice in many other countries.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 04:00
hebrejština -> angličtina
Nobody's America-Bashing Jun 20, 2013

Michelle Kusuda wrote:

I cannot believe this thread! Some of us literally wish the person has a nice day after their interaction with us!

___ Have a nice day!*

___ Have a rotten day!*

* = Indicate your selection

We're just responding to the OP's request as to the perception of "Have a Nice Day" in the UK, which (overall) is ambivalent at best and somewhat negative at worst (not necessarily because it is American either).

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 20:00
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
In memoriam
Erm. Germans wish each other a nice day as a greeting on first contact. Jun 20, 2013

Petra_44 wrote:

Yes, I agree, it's very American, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It's just a pleasant way to say goodbye. So as long as you say it in English, no problem.

Just don't ever say it in German. I've only ever heard it in a sarcastic form here, and that's why I wound always wonder whether they meant to insult me if anyone was wishing me a nice day in German, in an e-mail, for instance.

It's called: "Guten Tag!"

Has this beautiful greeting turned into such an automatism that even Germans forgot what it means? Yikes.

Guten Tag and please have a nice day!

I mean it.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazílie
Local time: 00:00
angličtina -> portugalština
+ ...
In memoriam
Making it clear Jun 20, 2013

Michelle Kusuda wrote:

You said it right... "some of us". My problem with it is that most customer service folks visibly shift from their natural conversational tone to an uptight one, say "Have a nice day!", roll their eyes as if ticking a box on their mental checklist, "Done!", and sometimes resume their previous conversational tone. It is often the "mechanical procedure" within an otherwise completely natural and friendly interaction.

Some of them, if they noticed that I'm speaking in a foreign (PT) language with my entourage, will continue, after the "procedure" by saying a convincingly personal "I hope you guys have a great time here in (whatever is the place)", which would have been nice enough on its own.

The problem is in its rubber-stamp format. When one goes through immigration, they may meet a friendly or unfriendly officer. Nevertheless, all passports will be stamped. Likewise, the "have a nice day" has become so trite, that it sounds like the stamp bang on the passport. Almost nobody says "have a great day", or anything slightly different from "have a nice day".

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Člen (2003)
francouzština -> italština
+ ...
Hey Giles, yesss Jun 20, 2013

Giles Watson wrote:

Buona giornata, buona serata... I like it and I really don't mind if Brits don't

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Německo
němčina -> angličtina
Germans don't say it? Jun 20, 2013

I hear "Schönen Tag noch"/ "Schönen Feierabend"/ "Schönes Wochenende" all the time - what is the suggestively sarcastic German phrase?

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:00
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
That is what I thought, too Jun 20, 2013

Michael Wetzel wrote:

I hear "Schönen Tag noch"/ "Schönen Feierabend"/ "Schönes Wochenende" all the time - what is the suggestively sarcastic German phrase?

I heard (when I lived in Germany)/get this in e-mail (now that I live in the US) all the time, too, and never interpreted it as sarcastic.

neilmac - "Have a good one" is also very common in the US, at least in the Chicago area.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 20:00
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
In memoriam
I am always slightly amused Jun 20, 2013

...when the degrees of politeness and courtesy of any country are evaluated and judged by robotic utterances of pitiable, minimum-wage workers. Those poor guys in cheap retail or at your preferred, international burger place are drilled in terms of communication that makes any style guide you ever received from a client turn pale.

Leave those kids alone. They HATE saying "Have a nice day!" 2000 times a day. They get fired if they don't. Please keep your sour face to yourself. You ma
... See more
...when the degrees of politeness and courtesy of any country are evaluated and judged by robotic utterances of pitiable, minimum-wage workers. Those poor guys in cheap retail or at your preferred, international burger place are drilled in terms of communication that makes any style guide you ever received from a client turn pale.

Leave those kids alone. They HATE saying "Have a nice day!" 2000 times a day. They get fired if they don't. Please keep your sour face to yourself. You may also start to reevaluate your preferred shopping venues and/or your feeding habits. Then you will meet nicer employees who actually mean what they say. With a wonderful smile.
Collapse

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have a nice day??

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »