投稿者: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
英国
Local time: 10:18
2008に入会
イタリア語 から 英語
Sep 7, 2012

Here's an interesting look at the problem.

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2011/04/anymore-3.html

It's an everyday thing. I come across it every day.

Why are Americans runningwordstogether? Like "every day"?

CanIjust runany wordsIwantto together ordo Ihaveto respect somerules?

[Edited at 2012-09-07 08:46 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
中国
Local time: 17:18
中国語 から 英語
I run into this everyday Sep 7, 2012

In some English language textbook in China, there is a confusion over the words "every day". No learners here use the proper word "everyday" (they all think it's OK to use "daily" for this sense); and they all write everyday when they mean every day. Drives me upthewall.

[Edited at 2012-09-07 08:53 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 02:18
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
追悼
Tom, you didn't read the article carefully enough. Sep 7, 2012

This should never happen to a professional translator.

Tom in London wrote:

Why are Americans runningwordstogether? Like "every day"?

[Edited at 2012-09-07 08:46 GMT]

Two spellings, two meanings. It's that easy.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
追悼
Coworkers Sep 7, 2012

When I first came across the often used American expression "coworkers" I felt it must be something to do with people working with cattle - as in "cowboys" - silly, I know. I soon realised it meant "co-workers" or "colleagues".
I think the illision of "any more" into "anymore" probably has Yiddish roots - in the sense of "that's enough yet already". i.e. "now" rather than some more of anything. (or should that be "any thing")?
J

Nicole Schnell
米国
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
追悼
Jenny, now I am a bit disappointed. Sep 7, 2012

Jenny Forbes wrote:

When I first came across the often used American expression "coworkers" I felt it must be something to do with people working with cattle - as in "cowboys" - silly, I know. I soon realised it meant "co-workers" or "colleagues".
I think the illision of "any more" into "anymore" probably has Yiddish roots - in the sense of "that's enough yet already". i.e. "now" rather than some more of anything. (or should that be "any thing")?
J

Has the Latin prefix "co-" lost any meaning in England or is etymology of no interest over there?

Happy America-bashing!

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
中国
Local time: 17:18
中国語 から 英語
England has more cows than etymologists Sep 7, 2012

Boss Harner leaned on the stirrup of the ranch, looking out over the purple plain.

"Bitter start orking them heifers, Brent," he said, firing a wad the spittoon. "There's a twister coming in."

Brent was the fastest coworker on the ranch. Everyone paused to watch the muscles of his back rippling as he slapped Daisy on the haunch. "Right, Boss," he replied laconically. Then his arms tensed, and he set to work. Each heifer gave a urgent low as he grabbed them, one by one.
... See more
Boss Harner leaned on the stirrup of the ranch, looking out over the purple plain.

"Bitter start orking them heifers, Brent," he said, firing a wad the spittoon. "There's a twister coming in."

Brent was the fastest coworker on the ranch. Everyone paused to watch the muscles of his back rippling as he slapped Daisy on the haunch. "Right, Boss," he replied laconically. Then his arms tensed, and he set to work. Each heifer gave a urgent low as he grabbed them, one by one...

Sorry. I was browsing randomly last night, and found out for the first time that there is cheesy gay cowboy erotica. I had never imagined such a thing before, and I probably never will again. But if I ever do read such a book, I hope very much that it involves some strenuous coworking.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
スペイン
Local time: 11:18
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
Jerks... of the knee Sep 7, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Has the Latin prefix "co-" lost any meaning in England or is etymology of no interest over there?

Happy America-bashing!

Quoth the Raven... Yeah dudes! Lay off our transatlantic cousins!

Anyway, the blog is flawed; the first example given (“I can’t believe that you’re hungry anymore!”) in proper English -either side of the pond - would mean "I can no longer believe that you're hungry" ... which sounds odd to me. I'd expect to hear something along the lines of "I can't believe you're still hungry" from most native speakers.

If you can't handle trivia like "anymore", what are you going to do when you come up against CamelCaps or words containing underscores or @... ?

Nathaniel2
Nathaniel2
スロヴァキア語 から 英語
America-bashing Sep 7, 2012

I quite enjoy bashing Americanisms - and I'm an American. But sometimes it just has to stop. The United States of America is a huge country with a population of some 300 MILLION (correct me if I'm wrong). Many of these people haven't even lived there 20 years. It seems silly to blame all Americans for basically everything. Most Americans are clueless as to their impact on the rest of the world - and some of them don't even know there even is a rest of the world. If we just refuse to use the 'new... See more
I quite enjoy bashing Americanisms - and I'm an American. But sometimes it just has to stop. The United States of America is a huge country with a population of some 300 MILLION (correct me if I'm wrong). Many of these people haven't even lived there 20 years. It seems silly to blame all Americans for basically everything. Most Americans are clueless as to their impact on the rest of the world - and some of them don't even know there even is a rest of the world. If we just refuse to use the 'new phraseology' then maybe it won't catch on, because if it does it's only because people like it
Rant officially ended
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
米国
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
追悼
Probably a typo on the website Sep 7, 2012

neilmac wrote:

Anyway, the blog is flawed; the first example given (“I can’t believe that you’re hungry anymore!”)

This doesn't make sense on either side of the pond except when uttered by a speech-impaired person.

Jennifer Forbes
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
追悼
Nathalie, I apologise! Sep 7, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

J

Happy America-bashing!

Oh Nathalie, I wasn't intending to America-bash. I was really laughing at myself for not recognising the expression right away just because of the absence of a hyphen.
I love America, lived and worked there myself at one time (in New York City but got around as much as I could when vacations permitted) and have an American sister in Baton Rouge and American nephews in New York.
Yes, I do know the Latin prefix "co".
So, let us co-operate or cooperate and co-work or cowork as much as we can - and keep those darn cows out of the yard.
Jenny

P.S. And I love the Yiddish (I think) manner of speech as in "Stupid she isn't".

[Edited at 2012-09-07 10:35 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
米国
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
追悼
I love this kind of creating sound tracks by spelling Sep 7, 2012

Phil Hand wrote:

It's like painting pictures with words and at times you have to modify the spelling of direct speech to subtly indicate that the person was eating, smoking, chewing tobacco or picking his nose. This usually is related to male behavior. Who else would spit into a spittoon.

Nicole Schnell
米国
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
追悼
Thanks, Jenny! Sep 7, 2012

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Oh Nathalie, I wasn't intending to America-bash. I was really laughing at myself for not recognising the expression right away just because of the absence of the hyphen.
I love America, lived and worked there myself at one time (in New York City but got around as much as I could when vacations permitted) and have an American sister in Baton Rouge and American nephews in New York.
So, let us co-operate or cooperate and co-work or cowork as much as we can - and keep those darn cows out of the yard.
Jenny

But my name is Nicole.

Jennifer Forbes
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
追悼
Oh Lord! Sep 7, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Oh Nathalie, I wasn't intending to America-bash. I was really laughing at myself for not recognising the expression right away just because of the absence of the hyphen.
Jenny

But my name is Nicole.

Forgive me again, Nicole. It's all getting too much for me! I've just been corresponding with a Nathalie. Time to retire, perhaps?
J

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
ボスニア・ヘルツェゴビナ
2009に入会
英語 から クロアチア語
+ ...
Answer Sep 7, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

You should both respect the rules and the fact that rules are changing (and not always by conventions, sometimes it happens naturally or to serve a specific purpose).

Tom in London
Tom in London
英国
2008に入会
イタリア語 から 英語
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmm Sep 7, 2012

Lingua 5B wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

You should both respect the rules and the fact that rules are changing (and not always by conventions, sometimes it happens naturally or to serve a specific purpose).

OK, so what are the rule for runningwords together? Can I say "runningwords"? I don't see why not, or indeed whynot.

[Edited at 2012-09-07 11:26 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are you ready for any more anymore?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »