New TM for each job?
Thread poster: Miriam Hurley
Miriam Hurley
Miriam Hurley  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:51
Italian to English
Oct 31, 2005

I am curious if most of use create a new TM for each job or if you have one large TM and change the attributes. Generally, any information on how you organize and plan your TMs would be helpful. Thanks, Miriam

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:51
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No rule Oct 31, 2005

Some claim to use one TM for each language pair. Others use different TMs for each client. But whuy would you start each job with a new TM. That does not make sense to me.
Regards
Heinrich

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:51
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
My method: active TM + reference TM (+archiving and incrementing TMs) Oct 31, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Some claim to use one TM for each language pair. Others use different TMs for each client. But whuy would you start each job with a new TM. That does not make sense to me.
Regards
Heinrich

In my opinion, it still make sense to use a new TM for each project, especially if the proejct is large enough, for safety and consistency. Let's call it, for clarity, the active memory.

The initial or active TM may not be empty, if the customer/agency provides a starting TM.

To take advantage of previous work, if I have any available in the same subject or created previously for the same customer, I use the secondary memory, which is used for reference only, but NOT updated during the translation.
The primary TM gets all the new entries but the secondary TM can provide 100% matches or fuzzy matches, and concordance results too.

To create a secondary memory it is better, at the end of each project, to export all the content of each new TM in .txt or .tmx format, assign to it a meaningful name (subject, customer, date).
When there is a project that may benefit from previous work, it is sufficient to create a reference memory, pulling together (importing) all relevant previous TM in a temporary TM, that may be used only for a job, as a reference, and then scrapped.

For example, for projects in the IT field, I always use the same reference memory, not creating it afresh every time (because I use it often, and it is quite large!!), but I add to it any new content as it created in every new project in this field.
This secondary TM sits permanently in background, while I translate (into a different active TM) every new IT project.

(I hope my quick description is clear enough.)

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-10-31 12:42]

Natalia Zudaire
Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:51
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TM + Project Settings Oct 31, 2005

I only keep one HUGE TM (for each language pair), but I use project settings for each project (I use acronyms and write them down on a sticky note on my wall). Once I finish translating, I export the used segments into a new TM for that client, if necessary. I also use reference TMs for concordance search.

Natalia

[Edited at 2005-10-31 12:58]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I have one TM per client Oct 31, 2005

Miriam Hurley wrote:
I am curious if most of use create a new TM for each job or if you have one large TM and change the attributes.

I have one TM for every client. Different clients have different needs and their texts tend to be similar. It also helps to make sure that I don't accidently put anything confidential from one client into the text of another (although that shouldn't happen regardless).

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My way... Oct 31, 2005

My system is similar to Gianfranco's in that I use any TM supplied by the customer or a new TM as the active memory and my main memory (=Gianfranco's "secondary memory") for the particular language in question as the reference memory.

My system is also similar to Natalia's in that I have one main memory for each language pair (I have two: DE-EN & EN-DE).

That way I have the best of both worlds. I can choose whether I want to add my new content to my main memory after th
... See more
My system is similar to Gianfranco's in that I use any TM supplied by the customer or a new TM as the active memory and my main memory (=Gianfranco's "secondary memory") for the particular language in question as the reference memory.

My system is also similar to Natalia's in that I have one main memory for each language pair (I have two: DE-EN & EN-DE).

That way I have the best of both worlds. I can choose whether I want to add my new content to my main memory after the fact, i.e. during clean up.

[Edited at 2005-10-31 19:44]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TMs by language (US/GB) and by subject Feb 17, 2006

Definitely not by client: I started out like this but realised that I was wasting too much time re-translating similar texts. Besides, if you work for agencies, you often don't know who the original clients are anyway.

So I organise by subject - I have Medical US and Medical GB, General, General Technical and a few others which are hardly ever used. And a couple of agency TMs for particular jobs.

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
One TM per end client Feb 21, 2006

I translate marketing texts; all end clients have the same kind of terminology but they translate it in different ways. I don't want to mix up these terms, so I made one TM per end client. All TMs have to be in the same directory: this enables you to search with the Context function (Ctrl + Alt + C) in all sibling TMs.

For tourism texts (where there is no concurrence and everything is translated in the same way) I only use one huge TM.

Besides, Copernic Desktop Search i
... See more
I translate marketing texts; all end clients have the same kind of terminology but they translate it in different ways. I don't want to mix up these terms, so I made one TM per end client. All TMs have to be in the same directory: this enables you to search with the Context function (Ctrl + Alt + C) in all sibling TMs.

For tourism texts (where there is no concurrence and everything is translated in the same way) I only use one huge TM.

Besides, Copernic Desktop Search is a powerful tool if you look for a term but don't remember where you used it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New TM for each job?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »