WordFast can't translate Trados Prepared files.
Thread poster: Peter Yang
Peter Yang
Peter Yang
Albania
Local time: 14:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 14, 2003

I'm a Trados user and decided to switch to WordFast because it is such a wonderful program!

However, I do have a very strange problem.

I can not pick existing translations when I translate Trados Prepared files. I did two days testing:

For simplicity, I want to translate "bbb" to "222"

1)Confirmed I can read in Trados memory without problem
2)Confirmed I can translate and pick exisitng memory in a word document I create(non trados)
... See more
I'm a Trados user and decided to switch to WordFast because it is such a wonderful program!

However, I do have a very strange problem.

I can not pick existing translations when I translate Trados Prepared files. I did two days testing:

For simplicity, I want to translate "bbb" to "222"

1)Confirmed I can read in Trados memory without problem
2)Confirmed I can translate and pick exisitng memory in a word document I create(non trados)

I found out the reason is wordfast treat the source font differently in Trados Prepared files.

when you click alt-down, it will copy the source and highlight them with green. I checked the memory after accepting it.

Here is what the memory looks like

xx030814~113312 M 2 EN-US bbb ZH-TW 222 EL LS

20030814~141832 M 3 EN-US &jA;bbb ZH-TW bbb EL LS

As you can see, wordfast thinks "bbb" in Trados file as "&jA:bbb", so of course there is no match.
(It also seems to change the date from 20030814~113312 to xx030814~113312

Question is: why and how do I fix it?

I use English Windows 2000, Office 2000 and demo WordFast 3.35 (memory is only 2 TU)
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:32
English to German
+ ...
WF group Aug 15, 2003

Actually I cannot help you with this one, but why don't you contact the WF group at Yahoo?

The link is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

You can either search the archive for similar problems, or ask straight away. There are a lot of WF&Trados users, and they may be able to help you.

HTH

Sonja...
See more
Actually I cannot help you with this one, but why don't you contact the WF group at Yahoo?

The link is:

You can either search the archive for similar problems, or ask straight away. There are a lot of WF&Trados users, and they may be able to help you.

HTH

Sonja
Collapse

Peter Yang
Peter Yang
Albania
Local time: 14:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found the problem. Sharing my experience. Aug 19, 2003

Thanks Sonja!

I found out the problem! The file I'm testing with is a already Trados Prepared document. So it thinks every segment including the original source is already translated and there is a 100% match. So WordFast is working!

I found this via Yahoo group. Thanks again.

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

The link is:

HTH

Sonja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast can't translate Trados Prepared files.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »