Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
An attempt to stop agencies ripping us off. Vote if you agree. (UK only)
Thread poster: Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:47
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jul 10, 2010

Just an attempt to stop agencies to rip us off.

http://spendingchallenge.hm-treasury.gov.uk/how-can-we-rethink-public-services-to-deliver-more-for-less/translation-interpreting/idea-view

[Subject edited by staff or
... See more
Just an attempt to stop agencies to rip us off.

http://spendingchallenge.hm-treasury.gov.uk/how-can-we-rethink-public-services-to-deliver-more-for-less/translation-interpreting/idea-view

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-07-11 00:12 GMT]
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Agreed, liked... and voted Jul 10, 2010

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Nesrin Jul 10, 2010

Thank you.

Steven Smith
Steven Smith
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
A bit of history Jul 10, 2010

The government used to work directly with freelancers until about 2007 when the decision was made to outsource to agencies. There was a fair amount of protest at the time from translators (e.g http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article3042104.ece ) but it seems nothing came of it. Still, I support your petition.

[Edited at 2010-07-10 17:09 GMT]

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
If the government really wants to cut costs... Jul 10, 2010

it should look at multilingual countries. Belgium, Switzerland, Luxemburg and Canada employ translators and interpreters as civil servants.
They earn about £20-30K per annum.
They are recruited after having passed competitive exams containing difficult vocabulary and expressions. Either they are added to the department or their department consists of about 10 people.
This would weed out the intermediaries and unqualified, self-anointed translators, ensure quality and cut cost
... See more
it should look at multilingual countries. Belgium, Switzerland, Luxemburg and Canada employ translators and interpreters as civil servants.
They earn about £20-30K per annum.
They are recruited after having passed competitive exams containing difficult vocabulary and expressions. Either they are added to the department or their department consists of about 10 people.
This would weed out the intermediaries and unqualified, self-anointed translators, ensure quality and cut costs.

[Edited at 2010-07-10 17:15 GMT]
Collapse

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Steven Jul 10, 2010

Give is a vote then.:)

Steven F Smith wrote:
The government used to work directly with freelancers until about 2007 when the decision was made to outsource to agencies. There was a fair amount of protest at the time from translators (e.g http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article3042104.ece ) but it seems nothing came of it. Still, I support your petition.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Pre-2007 Jul 10, 2010

Steven F Smith wrote:

Pre-2007 the government didn't work exclusively with freelancers though, as far as I know. I did plenty of government translation work (some of it quite sensitive) through one particular agency between 2002 and 2006. I did have to be vetted though. They paid absolute peanuts, and I'm sure they charged the government at least 4x as much, but on the plus side the work was abundant and steady..

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
20 years ago ... Jul 11, 2010

Twenty years or more ago, I started working as a freelance translator for what was then the Ministry of Overseas Development. I was teaching French and Spanish at secondary school level at the time, and translated in the evening and at weekends. They paid peanuts back then, but it got me started and was excellent experience on a wide variety of development topics. I also had considerable work experience in the investment banking and property development worlds. Later I became a full-time freelan... See more
Twenty years or more ago, I started working as a freelance translator for what was then the Ministry of Overseas Development. I was teaching French and Spanish at secondary school level at the time, and translated in the evening and at weekends. They paid peanuts back then, but it got me started and was excellent experience on a wide variety of development topics. I also had considerable work experience in the investment banking and property development worlds. Later I became a full-time freelancer and have never looked back.
It's a pity if the government, now rightly so intent on cutting costs, uses agencies to place their translations - much more expensive of course - rather than having lists of freelance translators as in the past.
What about a campaign of letters to our MPs pointing out this cost-cutting possibility - of benefit to us personally and to the country as a whole?
Best wishes
Jenny
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:47
Italian to English
Impressions count Jul 11, 2010

I agree in principle, however it is difficult for freelancers to be taken seriously with such sloppy language and grammar.

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Really Fiona? Jul 11, 2010

Fiona Peterson wrote:
I agree in principle, however it is difficult for freelancers to be taken seriously with such sloppy language and grammar.

It was just an idea and I really wasn't expecting anyone bitching about my language and grammar. Do your own "smartest-of the-smart-arses-translator". Excuse my language, but you did piss me off.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:47
Italian to English
Personal opinion Jul 11, 2010

I was simply stating my professional and personal opinion; this is a discussion forum after all. I am sorry that you seem to have taken my post as a personal attack and criticism of your language skills - if you read carefully you will see this is not the case.

I know my contributions to the Italian forum are not 100% grammatically correct; I would never dream of criticising the language used on a forum. However you are contesting the use of agencies over freelancers; you are repres
... See more
I was simply stating my professional and personal opinion; this is a discussion forum after all. I am sorry that you seem to have taken my post as a personal attack and criticism of your language skills - if you read carefully you will see this is not the case.

I know my contributions to the Italian forum are not 100% grammatically correct; I would never dream of criticising the language used on a forum. However you are contesting the use of agencies over freelancers; you are representing your profession through the words you put on a page, so why be less than accurate because it was "just an idea"?

My intention was not to offend, and if I have done so I apologise.
Collapse

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 13:47
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
one question Jul 11, 2010

Steven F Smith wrote:

Hi Steven,

Do you mean that from 2007 onwards, UK gov agencies and institutions cannot (for some formal reasons) give work to freelancers? Only to agencies?

Thanks in advance for the info!

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
If the government really wants to cut costs... Jul 12, 2010

The government's main concern is being seen to cut costs. They just set the overall budget policy, they don't care about individual budget lines, even if the result is more waste ('where there's muck there's brass'); unless of course it becomes the subject of media attention. Indeed, they know better than most of us how these things 'work' in practice. And least of all do they care about individual contractors who think they should be treated fairly.

[Edited at 2010-07-12 07:49 GMT]

N Andersson
N Andersson
United Kingdom
English to Swedish
Great idea, I voted. Jul 12, 2010

My vote added.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

An attempt to stop agencies ripping us off. Vote if you agree. (UK only)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »