If you get established in UK as a translator do you receive a number from the Companies House?
Thread poster: Cyril Bel-Ange
Cyril Bel-Ange
Cyril Bel-Ange  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:01
English to French
+ ...
Feb 3, 2010

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if there is a a number issued by the Companies House when you start your own translation business in the UK, just like the SIRET number when you get started in France.

Many thanks to anyone able to help me out!

Cyril

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:01
Italian to English
Not necessary Feb 3, 2010

Hi Cyril

Only if you want to operate as a limited company.
To operate as a sole trader, you only need to inform the inland revenue so that they can make arrangements for you to pay National Insurance and send you an annual Tax Return form.

In fact, you can register online here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/

[Edited at 2010-02-03 13:09 GMT]

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
And when invoicing from UK to another EU country ? Feb 3, 2010

I wonder what are the mandatory mentions which must appear on an invoice established by a UK translator.
In France, we must indicate our SIRET number, is there something equivalent (and mandatory) ?
I want to be sure that a received invoice is perfectly legal.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Catherine

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Invoice details Feb 3, 2010

Hi Catherine

Invoicing requirements are detailed here: http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?r.s=sl&type=RESOURCES&itemId=1073791759

I am not aware of any extra requirements for invoicing customers abroad. In fact, it is the customer's country that may have specific reqirements, e.g. re exemption from VAT.

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Nothing mandatory Feb 3, 2010

I just include my name and contact details. Oh, and bank details, of course. Sometimes clients from other countries insist on tax number but I spoke to the Inland Revenue (I think it is called something else now) and they told me I can basically quote any 10 digit number as there was no way on earth anybody would be able to verify my tax number.

Ines

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
I might be wrong... Feb 3, 2010

Burrell wrote:

they told me I can basically quote any 10 digit number as there was no way on earth anybody would be able to verify my tax number.

Ines

But what about this? http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/vieshome.do
I wouldn't write a random number.

Paola

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
UTR Number Feb 3, 2010

Hi,

Once your register as self-emplyed you are given UTR (Unique Tax Reference) number. That's all. I don't put it on any of my invoices (UK or elsewhere) though.

Rad

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
VAT not Income Tax Feb 3, 2010

[quote]Paola Dentifrigi wrote:

But what about this? http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/vieshome.do
I wouldn't write a random number.

That is for VAT numbers Paola, not Tax codes - and most of us are not rich enough to make VAT registration necessary!

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
yes Feb 3, 2010

Russell Jones wrote:

That is for VAT numbers Paola, not Tax codes - and most of us are not rich enough to make VAT registration necessary! [/quote]

I know it's for VAT numbers. I was just suggesting not to write random numbers, as maybe firms outside the UK might consider that a VAT number (we do not have Tax code here, e.g. I wish we had...)

Paola

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Tax number Feb 3, 2010

I am just telling what the tax advisor told me. Her point was that it was not possible to verify the tax number, the tax office does not give such information to other people, in fact, they could not even tell me number as I had changed the address since the last time they wrote me and that is when she told me to just invent something. The number is pointless.

Of course, I would not pass it as my VAT number, I do not have one (most of the UK translators do not need it) and I would
... See more
I am just telling what the tax advisor told me. Her point was that it was not possible to verify the tax number, the tax office does not give such information to other people, in fact, they could not even tell me number as I had changed the address since the last time they wrote me and that is when she told me to just invent something. The number is pointless.

Of course, I would not pass it as my VAT number, I do not have one (most of the UK translators do not need it) and I would explicitly explain that. However, if somebody insisted on having my tax number and I gave it to them, and if they further wanted to use it as a VAT number for some inexplicable reason, they would still be in a pickle regardless of whether I gave them the right number or not as the right number would not get them anywhere either.

Ines
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Just to confuse you :-) Feb 3, 2010

Paola Dentifrigi wrote:

I was just suggesting not to write random numbers, as maybe firms outside the UK might consider that a VAT number (we do not have Tax code here, e.g. I wish we had...)

We do have a tax code here, and your tax code is not the same as your UTR (which is different from your VAT number, if any) at all.

Hmmm, I used to think our admin was quite straightforward.... I'm starting to wonder now

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you ...and you are lucky ! Feb 3, 2010

Many thanks to each of you.

You are lucky in UK, indeed !
In France, besides the SIRET and URSSAF numbers, since January 1st, every translator - even those VAT exempted (microentreprises, auto-entrepreneurs) - must indicate an intra-community VAT number, and fill in a monthly statement listing his/her EU clients and sent to the Customs Office (called the Déclaration Européenne de Services - DES)
Surprising that UK translators have not to do the same.
It's why r
... See more
Many thanks to each of you.

You are lucky in UK, indeed !
In France, besides the SIRET and URSSAF numbers, since January 1st, every translator - even those VAT exempted (microentreprises, auto-entrepreneurs) - must indicate an intra-community VAT number, and fill in a monthly statement listing his/her EU clients and sent to the Customs Office (called the Déclaration Européenne de Services - DES)
Surprising that UK translators have not to do the same.
It's why receiving an invoice with no legal mention of that kind is a bit destabilizing

Have a nice evening

Catherine

[Edited at 2010-02-03 22:45 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

If you get established in UK as a translator do you receive a number from the Companies House?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »