Nathalie Coutelle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:16
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 13, 2010

I am a French national that was living in Portugal, then I moved to UK

For 2008-2009, I was registered and paid taxes as per the portugueuse system (with tax year from january to december 2008). Then I moved to UK in december 08 and got registered here (tax year april 2008/april 2009).

I am having problem filling my tax return. Anyone has faced this situtaion before. Any advice is more than welcome.

Once I was in the UK and before being registered, some i
... See more
I am a French national that was living in Portugal, then I moved to UK

For 2008-2009, I was registered and paid taxes as per the portugueuse system (with tax year from january to december 2008). Then I moved to UK in december 08 and got registered here (tax year april 2008/april 2009).

I am having problem filling my tax return. Anyone has faced this situtaion before. Any advice is more than welcome.

Once I was in the UK and before being registered, some invoices arrived to my account. What shall I do?
Collapse

Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:16
Member (2007)
English to French
Your self assessment form Jan 13, 2010

Hello,

Why don't you ring them up (or even better: go to your local tax office). They are very pleasant and extremely helpful.

I have done that on numerous occasions and always got the exact answer I needed.

You might find that at the moment, the line is quite busy (31st Jan. deadline...), so maybe a visit is better.

Carole

Myriam Garcia Bernabe
Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
UK Self-Assessment Jan 13, 2010

Dear Nathalie,

Could you give us a bit more information about this so we can help you? What exactly is the problem you are facing filling in the tax return?

There are 2 ways in which you may submit your taxes as a freelancer in the UK:

a) In paper, but this deadline has passed as it was October 2009. If you registered with HMRC as self-employed in December 2008, you should have received a paper tax form in the spring 2009, thereabouts.

b) Onlin
... See more
Dear Nathalie,

Could you give us a bit more information about this so we can help you? What exactly is the problem you are facing filling in the tax return?

There are 2 ways in which you may submit your taxes as a freelancer in the UK:

a) In paper, but this deadline has passed as it was October 2009. If you registered with HMRC as self-employed in December 2008, you should have received a paper tax form in the spring 2009, thereabouts.

b) Online, in which case the deadline for submission of 2008-2009 taxes is the end of this month, 31st of January 2010 to be more precise. (But for this you have to be registered with the HMRC and it takes about 7 days to get your user ID from them).

As for your second question, you'd better ring the HMRC and ask them about those invoices as it may depend if you were considered as a resident for tax purposes then or you wer still moving from the Portuguese system.

Hope this helps,
Myriam
Collapse

Nathalie Coutelle
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
foreign income? Jan 13, 2010

Myriam,

More specifically, should my income from Portugal be declared as foreign income?

Myriam Garcia Bernabe
Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
Foreign income Jan 13, 2010

I think if you received that income whilst registered as UK tax-payer, that is what you must do.

However, perhaps give them a call tomorrow. They tend to be very helpful with queries.

Hope this helps,
Myriam

trad500
trad500
English to French
Call the uk tax office Jan 14, 2010

I would indeed highly recommend calling them. Contrary to general belief, they are extremely helpful and friendly and will be able to answer all your questions.

Nathalie Coutelle
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jan 14, 2010

Thanks, indeed contacting HMRC is probably the best....

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Nathalie

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

UK-self assessment (move to UK)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »