Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sep 29, 2010

Hi, friends!

I recently raved in a ProZ forum thread about the new DNS 11. Shortly after, I began having an incompatibility with my Word Magic plug-in. After disabling it, DNS appeared to work again.

But then it began having the same problems with the Word screen freezing and performance slowing way down (even though the plug-in was deactivated).

I've written Nuance tech support yet again, but I'm running out of patience.

Several months ago, I
... See more
Hi, friends!

I recently raved in a ProZ forum thread about the new DNS 11. Shortly after, I began having an incompatibility with my Word Magic plug-in. After disabling it, DNS appeared to work again.

But then it began having the same problems with the Word screen freezing and performance slowing way down (even though the plug-in was deactivated).

I've written Nuance tech support yet again, but I'm running out of patience.

Several months ago, I tried to use Microsoft Speech Recognition, and I got the impression that it doesn't work with Word. Am I wrong about that? Does anyone use it? If so, what word processor do you use? Is the accuracy good? I would hate to spend time training it, only to end up not able to use it.

Any piece of advice you'd like to share, I'm all ears!

Thanks,
Patricia
Collapse

maryrose
maryrose  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:01
English
+ ...
Can't make microsoft speech recognition work Sep 30, 2010

Hi Patricia

I was actually quite reassured to read your post, because I recently made several attempts to use microsoft speech recognition when my new version of dragon wouldn't load. I did the tutorial and practice and then tried creating my own document but the program just kept putting up the "what on earth are you saying?" message (I forget the exact words). No matter what I tried, or how much I practised, it wouldn't recognise a single word I said. So I have given up, and wa
... See more
Hi Patricia

I was actually quite reassured to read your post, because I recently made several attempts to use microsoft speech recognition when my new version of dragon wouldn't load. I did the tutorial and practice and then tried creating my own document but the program just kept putting up the "what on earth are you saying?" message (I forget the exact words). No matter what I tried, or how much I practised, it wouldn't recognise a single word I said. So I have given up, and wasted a considerable amount of time on it. Shame, because it would be very convenient to have it right there.

Stick with dragon, I say.

Cheers

Maryrose
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:31
Italian to English
Earlier discussion Sep 30, 2010

Hi Patricia

If, by Microsoft, you're referring to Windows SR system (which I use with Word), you might like to see this thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/154433-dns_compatibility_with_windows_7.html

If you're not using Windows 7, it might be very different; I don't know I'm afraid.

[Edited a
... See more
Hi Patricia

If, by Microsoft, you're referring to Windows SR system (which I use with Word), you might like to see this thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/154433-dns_compatibility_with_windows_7.html

If you're not using Windows 7, it might be very different; I don't know I'm afraid.

[Edited at 2010-09-30 11:05 GMT]
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
help from Nuance (sort of) Sep 30, 2010

Hi, Russell and Maryrose,

To answer Russell's question, I am using Windows 7 (64 bit). Maryrose: What you describe is the experience I had, too. Although I'm now wondering if I had the microphone configured correctly. I may experiment one more time (and will post here if I can get it to work).

I'm sure I saw a post a while back from someone who said the he was using MS SR (speech recognition--took me a minute to figure out the acronym!).

Nuance got back t
... See more
Hi, Russell and Maryrose,

To answer Russell's question, I am using Windows 7 (64 bit). Maryrose: What you describe is the experience I had, too. Although I'm now wondering if I had the microphone configured correctly. I may experiment one more time (and will post here if I can get it to work).

I'm sure I saw a post a while back from someone who said the he was using MS SR (speech recognition--took me a minute to figure out the acronym!).

Nuance got back to me, but they want me to see if I can dictate into Dragon Pad; I'm fairly sure I can because I used Word Pad yesterday, without problem. But I don't like having to work with those word processors--I want the features of Word 7, and besides I'll have to cut and paste everything into a Word file and format it in the end.

I see someone else has posted a DNS question this morning, so I'm going to go read that!

Thanks for posting!
Patricia
Collapse

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 22:31
English
microsoft speech recognition Sep 30, 2010

Patricia,

WSR should work very well with Microsoft Word but certainly not as accurately or effectively as DNS.

I am not familiar with the Word Magic plug-in and it is possible that there is an incompatibility issue with NaturallySpeaking but the 1st thing I would verify is that you are launching Microsoft Word after you launch NaturallySpeaking because all Full Text Control (Select-&-Say) applications have to be launched after DNS but if you're experiencing dictation p
... See more
Patricia,

WSR should work very well with Microsoft Word but certainly not as accurately or effectively as DNS.

I am not familiar with the Word Magic plug-in and it is possible that there is an incompatibility issue with NaturallySpeaking but the 1st thing I would verify is that you are launching Microsoft Word after you launch NaturallySpeaking because all Full Text Control (Select-&-Say) applications have to be launched after DNS but if you're experiencing dictation problems, there's always a possibility that Microsoft Word may have rejected the NaturallySpeaking add-in which can easily be re-enabled.

Your Word document shouldn't be slowing down unless it's over 60 or so pages but we have noted an oddity in NaturallySpeaking with desktop icons; especially dead links. You've got to make sure that you don't have any dead links on your Windows desktop or you'll run into all kinds of sluggishness as NaturallySpeaking tries link with the dead links, which is an endless circle. If you'd like additional information, you'll find a latency issue discussion on the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition Forum at http://www.knowbrainer.com/PubForum/index.cfm?page=viewForumTopic&topicId=10910 where the forum membership made their solution public.

Tom Hamilton - Host of the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition Forums
Is Your Speech Recognition/Microphone Partner Nuance Gold Certified & BBB Accredited?
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
using MS Speech Recognition Oct 1, 2010

Well, I promised to report if MS SR worked, and it seems to (fairly well). I recalled doing the tutorial/training (or part of it...it is very long), and I redid it today (also stopping midstream out of boredom). It has some features that are very nice (things missing in DNS), such as the ability to put in ellipsis marks and to say fewer words to accomplish the same tasks.

It says that it learns as it goes (true of DNS, too), but right now, the accuracy is less than acceptable, but
... See more
Well, I promised to report if MS SR worked, and it seems to (fairly well). I recalled doing the tutorial/training (or part of it...it is very long), and I redid it today (also stopping midstream out of boredom). It has some features that are very nice (things missing in DNS), such as the ability to put in ellipsis marks and to say fewer words to accomplish the same tasks.

It says that it learns as it goes (true of DNS, too), but right now, the accuracy is less than acceptable, but it is clearly okay with MS Word.

I rebooted my laptop and was able to use DNS 11 with Word--but it was late in the day, so I didn't use it very long (my guess is that Word would have started freezing again had I dictated longer).

Still waiting for some substantive input from Nuance. They keep asking me questions, but I haven't learned if this is a problem lots of people are encountering or if it is just me

Thanks!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Speech Recognition versus DNS 11

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »