Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Too good to be true offer (payable in crypto)
Thread poster: Mireille BOULANGER
Mireille BOULANGER
Mireille BOULANGER  Identity Verified
France
Member (2013)
English to French
Apr 5, 2023

I just want to share the following offer received on Monday which followed another one from a different person on Sunday:

"I'm a HR manager at FINLAY SCOTLAND LTD
I am sending you an archive with files for translation below. in photo format in English. as well as checking for syntax and punctuation errors and correcting them in final translation file. Deadline is Thursday1pm CET. Execution is encouraged as soon as possible, surcharge for urgency.

Fi
... See more
I just want to share the following offer received on Monday which followed another one from a different person on Sunday:

"I'm a HR manager at FINLAY SCOTLAND LTD
I am sending you an archive with files for translation below. in photo format in English. as well as checking for syntax and punctuation errors and correcting them in final translation file. Deadline is Thursday1pm CET. Execution is encouraged as soon as possible, surcharge for urgency.

Final files required in pdf and docx formats.

Payment for this task is 750 EUR, perhaps the cost of the work is slightly higher than the market value, this is to pay off all commissions when exchanging funds. The budget is in cryptocurrency, I pay in bitcoin or ethereum. After payment I will definitely help you exchange funds for a dollar or wherever it is convenient for you.(Ready for prepayment for your safety)
I'm not a scammer and I'm looking for an honest job. Ready to pay in advance, help with withdrawal for further cooperation

I can do the prepayment for your safety and you can start. If you will be need help with withdraw and exchange to fiat currency I am glad to help you with it.
Waiting for you reply! "

Has anybody got this kind of proposal recently or in the past weeks?

I have done some research and could not find the authors of these mails on the web. Also a Proz.com account was created on Sunday just before the sending of the first mail. The country indicated on the account was Finland and the town was Bothwell which is in Scotland. The payment in bitcoins was a first for me!!

That is it....Of course I did not accept this incredible offer...

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2024-04-09 14:51 GMT]
Collapse

Monica Rasa
Inge Schumacher

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 11:47
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
What's too good about it? Apr 5, 2023

They offer a payment in an imaginary virtual currency, where exactly is the good part here?

Thomas Pfann
Philip Lees
Michael Newton
Alicja Kaniecka
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
That's a new one Apr 5, 2023

Fairly new is the offer to pay in crypto currency as well as the offer to help exchange it into any desired currency. However, the advanced payment isn't all that new.

Not so new is the description of the project. 750 euros might be a good price, even when considering the fact that the files are scanned or the requested final document types... if it wasn't for the missing word count or the required area of expertise.

Back to what is new about this offer. Any legitimate
... See more
Fairly new is the offer to pay in crypto currency as well as the offer to help exchange it into any desired currency. However, the advanced payment isn't all that new.

Not so new is the description of the project. 750 euros might be a good price, even when considering the fact that the files are scanned or the requested final document types... if it wasn't for the missing word count or the required area of expertise.

Back to what is new about this offer. Any legitimate customer won't even consider mentioning it, let alone, emphasizing the "fact" that s/he is not a scammer.;)

[Edited at 2023-04-05 14:26 GMT]
Collapse

Mireille BOULANGER
Barbara Carrara
Kristopher Brame
Philip Lees
Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis
Goumiri Abdennour

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Pffft, bitcoins… Apr 5, 2023

All the cool kids nowadays use Monero, y’all.

Liviu-Lee Roth

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 04:47
English to Russian
+ ...
Do you have a match? Apr 5, 2023

Then burn it and block all further correspondence.

I'm sorry you'd wasted your time on it.

SKLIANCHUK YULIIA
expressisverbis
Liviu-Lee Roth
Inge Schumacher

laure claesen
laure claesen  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
I received a similar one Apr 5, 2023

as follows:
"Hello!
I would like to invite you to the execution of my translation project from English to French.
For my boss it is necessary to translate 5000 words file in scan format(jpg).
The quality of files is high, the use of software is possible with a quality check from your side.
If your employment allows, let me know and I will send you files for review.
Cost 750 euros(0.15 per word)-ready to discuss.
To deadline we have about 1 week.
If
... See more
as follows:
"Hello!
I would like to invite you to the execution of my translation project from English to French.
For my boss it is necessary to translate 5000 words file in scan format(jpg).
The quality of files is high, the use of software is possible with a quality check from your side.
If your employment allows, let me know and I will send you files for review.
Cost 750 euros(0.15 per word)-ready to discuss.
To deadline we have about 1 week.
If you booked now let me know and we will discuss upcoming projects for your free time.
Thank you for your time.
Waiting for your reply! "

And when I replied I heard nothing from the bloke, a certain Arseniy Sarajt.

Perhaps he should be reported?
Collapse

Piotr Łazorko
Inge Schumacher
Quentin NEVEN
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Laure Apr 5, 2023

As he has a profile on Proz (https://www.proz.com/profile/3686869), you should report him. He says in his profile that he lives in Bothwell, Finland, and AFAIK Bothwell is in Scotland… He also says that he’s native in English and his email says otherwise…

expressisverbis
Liviu-Lee Roth
Adela Campos Espinosa de los Monteros
Inge Schumacher
Quentin NEVEN

Mireille BOULANGER
Mireille BOULANGER  Identity Verified
France
Member (2013)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Same scammer's approach Apr 6, 2023

@Laure
That is the guy who wrote me on Sunday before the lady (HR!) on Monday.. and yes he created a profile just before sending his mail.

Yes he should be reported. I am willing to do it but do you know how to proceed?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
@ Mireille Apr 6, 2023

Mireille BOULANGER wrote:

Yes he should be reported. I am willing to do it but do you know how to proceed?

That's easy. Just scroll down to the bottom of this page where you will find:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky [Call to this topic]

Just click on the link and let Lucia know about it. Be sure to include the link to that scammer's profile. She will take care of it.

expressisverbis
Inge Schumacher

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Mireille Apr 9, 2023

Besides what Thayenga said, you could also go directly to the Translator Scam Alert Center (https://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts) and click on Report a scam for investigation. That’s what I did recently.

Inge Schumacher
Eleanor Odhiambo

Carmen Álvarez
Carmen Álvarez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same offer today Apr 18, 2023

Hello, I just got the same offer today, exactly the same text. But they do not tell who they are.

I saw a new profile this morning, but now I go back to the profile link and it does not exist.

Here is the email I have got:

Hello!
I am sending you an archive with files for translation below. in photo format in English. as well as checking for syntax and punctuation errors and correcting them in final translation file. Review the file, the subject
... See more
Hello, I just got the same offer today, exactly the same text. But they do not tell who they are.

I saw a new profile this morning, but now I go back to the profile link and it does not exist.

Here is the email I have got:

Hello!
I am sending you an archive with files for translation below. in photo format in English. as well as checking for syntax and punctuation errors and correcting them in final translation file. Review the file, the subject of the text and let us know. Deadline is Monday. Execution is encouraged as soon as possible, surcharge for urgency.

Payment for this task is 750 EUR, perhaps the cost of the work is slightly higher than the market value, this is to pay off all commissions when exchanging funds. The budget is in cryptocurrency, I pay in bitcoin or ethereum. After payment I will definitely help you exchange funds for a dollar or wherever it is convenient for you.(Ready for prepayment for your safety)
I'm not a scammer and I'm looking for an honest job. Ready to pay in advance, help with withdrawal for further cooperation

I can do the prepayment for your safety and you can start. If you will be need help with withdraw and exchange to fiat currency I am glad to help you with it.
Waiting for you reply!
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Carmen Apr 18, 2023

This profile has been removed as it was clearly a scam: the profile owner used an IP anonymizer so his/her real location was unclear, but it was the 4th removed profile. Thank you for posting this information.

expressisverbis
Yolanda Broad
Inge Schumacher

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:47
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
crypto is good Apr 19, 2023

I would love to receive payment in crypto-currencies from a reliable client. This week I received a payment via bank transfer with more than 10% deducted from the invoice amount. These banks are like governments that tax us without providing any service. Actually there are governments that do no good to their people even if they tax them though.

Mr. Satan (X)
Baran Keki
M_T
Inge Schumacher
Fabrice Ndie
Eleanor Odhiambo

Miguel González Álvarez
Miguel González Álvarez
Spain
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I love it Apr 19, 2023

"I am so and so, HR manager at whatnot. I am not a scammer!"

Love it. Some of these are works of art, they brigthen our days.

Inge Schumacher
Eleanor Odhiambo

Cristina Saur
Cristina Saur  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Same here! Jun 8, 2023

I just received a similar "job" offer from a so-called Kamila Waiser (no trace of this person to be found anywhere on the internet):

"Hello!
I am sending you an archive with files for translation below. in photo format in English. Deadline is next Friday 1pm CET. Execution is encouraged as soon as possible, surcharge for urgency.
Payment for this task is 750 EUR, +5% to pay off all commissions when exchanging funds. Th
... See more
I just received a similar "job" offer from a so-called Kamila Waiser (no trace of this person to be found anywhere on the internet):

"Hello!
I am sending you an archive with files for translation below. in photo format in English. Deadline is next Friday 1pm CET. Execution is encouraged as soon as possible, surcharge for urgency.
Payment for this task is 750 EUR, +5% to pay off all commissions when exchanging funds. The budget is in cryptocurrency, I pay in bitcoin or ethereum. After payment I will definitely help you exchange funds for a euro or wherever it is convenient for you.
I'm looking for an honest job. Ready to pay in advance, help with withdrawal for further cooperation
Waiting for you reply!"

I have already reported her.
Take care!
Collapse

Iselin Bekkhus
Piotr Łazorko
Inge Schumacher

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Too good to be true offer (payable in crypto)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »