Thread poster: jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)

Local time: 14:26
French to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2013

Hi all,

I currently interpret Eng-Fr and Fr-Eng. I also speak a pretty decent level of Hungarian and want to improve my level so I can work in Hungarian as a B language since it is an "exotic" language. I can get around in hungary, and even pass for a native Hungarian, but my vocabulary is very limited since I never actually lived there. I only spent summer vacations there as a child.

I plan on reading the news and also watching the news and other cultural TV shows onl
... See more
Hi all,

I currently interpret Eng-Fr and Fr-Eng. I also speak a pretty decent level of Hungarian and want to improve my level so I can work in Hungarian as a B language since it is an "exotic" language. I can get around in hungary, and even pass for a native Hungarian, but my vocabulary is very limited since I never actually lived there. I only spent summer vacations there as a child.

I plan on reading the news and also watching the news and other cultural TV shows online, writing down words I don't know, and then learning them. For anyone interested, here is the link for streaming TV shows from around the world: http://wwitv.com/television/97.htm

Has anyone had experience speaking a language, and improving it to make it into a working language?

Thanks for sharing your feedback, opinions and experiences,

-Jen

[Edited at 2013-02-24 17:13 GMT]
Collapse

Jessie LN
Jessie LN  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
in-situ Feb 24, 2013

Would living in Hungary temporarily be an option? Even if you just spent a few weeks doing a language course there it could be extremely beneficial.

My Portuguese was pretty basic until I did a four-week intensive course in Portugal. My language level shot up! But it's been six years since I used it, so it's back to being basic again... I was considering going back to study it again so that I could add it to my working languages.

[Edited at 2013-02-24 19:26 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language development

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »