صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you become more tech-savvy since you started working in the language industry?
ناشر الموضوع: ProZ.com Staff
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:47
عضو (2003)
فرنسي إلى إيطالي
+ ...
It depends Feb 25

Christopher Schröder wrote:

You’re a boomer by age, and also by nature if their number one characteristic is feigning ignorance for reasons that are far from apparent 😂

A bit like my grandmother pretending she couldn’t operate a cash machine.

Baby Boomer starts in 1946 and ends in 1964. Before 1946 there is the "silent generation"

I am Baby Boomer by age, yes, not sure about Tom.

PS. The Silent Generation, also known as the Traditionalist Generation, is the Western demographic cohort following the Greatest Generation and preceding the baby boomers. The generation is generally defined as people born from 1928 to 1945.[1] By this definition and U.S. Census data, there were 23 million Silents in the United States as of 2019.[2]

[Edited at 2024-02-25 10:54 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 13:47
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
Yes, then No Feb 25

Buying my first computer (running CP/M) allowed me to start translating full-time. I was very eager to learn features and tricks of WordStar, a leading word processor at the time and also acquired elementary programming skills in BASIC. I even developed a one-line routine to trick my dot matrix printer into producing letter-quality text. I catalogued my entire library using DBase, a notoriously user-unfriendly database manager (you were presented with a blank screen with only a single dot as a c... See more
Buying my first computer (running CP/M) allowed me to start translating full-time. I was very eager to learn features and tricks of WordStar, a leading word processor at the time and also acquired elementary programming skills in BASIC. I even developed a one-line routine to trick my dot matrix printer into producing letter-quality text. I catalogued my entire library using DBase, a notoriously user-unfriendly database manager (you were presented with a blank screen with only a single dot as a cursor). When Windows became common, I switched to WordPerfect and developed macros to help me work more efficiently. I remained eager to become more proficient at effectively using a PC, especially after Microsoft produced an entire suite of productivity applications.
Skipping ahead to the late 1990s when I turned 50: A switch apparently went off in my brain and I became increasingly uninterested in software and computing technology. Recently my PC developed an intractable (to me) glitch, and rather than struggle with a solution, I simply bought a new computer.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
المملكة المتحدة
عضو (2011)
سويدي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
🤷‍♂️ Feb 25

Angie Garbarino wrote:
Baby Boomer starts in 1946 and ends in 1964. Before 1946 there is the "silent generation"

I don’t think Tom is that old but I may be wrong. Either way he will have heard the term “baby boom” used for much of his life.

If he had said he didn’t find it helpful to pigeonhole people based on age then I would have agreed, because we are all different. But he didn’t.

If he had said he didn’t understand many young people’s love of memes, I would also have agreed. But he didn’t.

Angie Garbarino

Tom in London
Tom in London
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 18:47
عضو (2008)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
Not me Feb 25

I have nothing to say about Chris. Not in public anyway.

[Edited at 2024-02-26 08:52 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Christopher Schröder

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
ألمانيا
Local time: 19:47
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
Yes Feb 26

Using CAT tools, the usual Microsoft products and the Internet every day is bound to make you a bit more tech-savvy. I'm still naturally technophobic though.

Christopher Schröder

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you become more tech-savvy since you started working in the language industry?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »