Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Do you eat your greens and veggies every day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 21:06
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Too many farts too (fibers) Feb 22

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Too much = too many carbs = sugar = trouble.

Generally yes, but this is more true for root vegetable, they have more sugar. Leafy ones have less. But everything in moderation. Sugar is not necessarily trouble, depends on the kind of sugar and quantity, and also what else you consume that will interact with it.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:06
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Potatoes Feb 22

They are starches, so complex carbs. Not as bad as pasta and rice. But to be limited regardless... IMO.

Tom in London wrote:

Don't overdo the bad carbohydrates = bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, which are converted into sugar by your digestive system and will make you FAT if you stuff yourself with them to get that gratifying warm "comfort food" feeling.

But we do need some of the good carboydrates that we get from vegetables.

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/ss/slideshow-health-vegetable-carbs

P.L.F. Persio

Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Vegan Feb 22

For me as a vegan, it's very easy to reach the target (nowadays 250 grams/day in the Netherlands, I believe; it used to be 200 g) because instead of meat, I eat a lot of legumes. If tempeh (fermented soybeans) counts as veggies and potatoes as well - I know the latter do in several countries - I ate only veggies for dinner tonight 😁 And I drank a glass of fruit juice (oh well ... wine ... doesn't that count? 🤔 😉).

Christopher Schröder
Lorenzo Meloni
Kay Denney

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Feb 23

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Except... there are millions of people around the world who seem to cope just fine without doing so.

I don't think a green vegetable has passed my mother-out-of-law's lips for over 50 years.

I do wonder how that's possible. She mainly subsists on gin.

[Edited at 2024-02-22 10:05 GMT]

I'm not so sure that they are doing "fine". The Guardian ran a shocking article the other day about 19th-century diseases making a reappearance in the UK. Things like rickets, caused by calcium deficiency and scurvy, caused by Vitamin C deficiency.

People always talk of calcium in milk but it's not very easy to digest, much easier when you get it from green veggies. And of course we all learned about sailors getting scurvy because of a lack of fresh veg on ships crossing the oceans.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/18/return-of-victorian-era-diseases-to-the-uk-scabies-measles-rickets-scurvy

Christopher Schröder
Rachel Waddington

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Feb 23

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Too much = too many carbs = sugar = trouble.

I believe that potatoes, rice and pasta don't count a part of your "five-a-day", even if they are plant-based.

Chick peas, lentils beans etc may contain a fair amount of starch and protein but if you're eating them as part of a well-balanced diet, there's no problem. They should mostly be eaten in place of meat and other protein-rich foods rather than as well as.

Actually vegetables are the best source of nourishment because you can eat far more without getting too much of anything, unless you fry them all and coat them all with salt and sugar of course.

Christopher Schröder
Lingua 5B
Rachel Waddington

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you eat your greens and veggies every day?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »