Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: What "dialects" do you speak?
Thread poster: Henry Hinds
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 04:08
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Interesting thread, and great contributions! Oct 9, 2020

Thanks for this discussion! Living and learning!
I speak Northern Portuguese, the oldest dialect of the Portuguese language and the most conservative Portuguese, known as "baixo-minhoto", "nortenho", specifically the dialect of Porto.
We are known for the way we speak; we have different words and expressions and we can use slang words more often.
We can be very tricky due to our remarkable phonetic traits, for ex., "b" and "v" are pronounced the same, like in Spanish and Galici
... See more
Thanks for this discussion! Living and learning!
I speak Northern Portuguese, the oldest dialect of the Portuguese language and the most conservative Portuguese, known as "baixo-minhoto", "nortenho", specifically the dialect of Porto.
We are known for the way we speak; we have different words and expressions and we can use slang words more often.
We can be very tricky due to our remarkable phonetic traits, for ex., "b" and "v" are pronounced the same, like in Spanish and Galician (we banned the "v" from our vocabulary, and for that reason we kept the "b" ), and vowels are more opened in certain words.
A few differences of vocabulary between Northern and Southern Portugal can be seen too.
The "Portuñol" is spoken here too
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)

pauline zhang
pauline zhang
Australia
my dialect Oct 10, 2020

I was born in a small town in northeast of China and we have a specific dialect that has been spoken for generations. People from my part of the country can be easily recognized because of the way we speak. In China, there are thousands of dialects and as a "born-and-raised" Chinese, I found most of them hard to understand if you are not from the particular part of the country. But for most Chinese, we take pride in our dialect and we think that it's great if our children can learn the way we ta... See more
I was born in a small town in northeast of China and we have a specific dialect that has been spoken for generations. People from my part of the country can be easily recognized because of the way we speak. In China, there are thousands of dialects and as a "born-and-raised" Chinese, I found most of them hard to understand if you are not from the particular part of the country. But for most Chinese, we take pride in our dialect and we think that it's great if our children can learn the way we talk. But it appears that the younger generation in China have become more comfortable and confident if they can speak Mandarin.
Generally, if we are doing interpreting jobs for people with a different dialect, we may find it too difficult. my advice is that before we take on an interpreting job, we need to have more background information about our client. If we can learn in advance that we don't share a common dialect, we should turn down the job.
Collapse

expressisverbis

Asmaa Hussein
Asmaa Hussein
Germany
Local time: 05:08
Arabic to German
+ ...
Austrian German and Egyptian Arabic Oct 10, 2020

Very interesting blog

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My tribute to Henry Hinds: Oct 10, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdul_UzT7lI&lc=Ugwy8YHgZOrf_K-Qxq14AaABAg.9Ds2V3UbYt99EMRqq4cPw9

I wish I had been able to meet you​ before.

[Edited at 2020-10-10 22:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-10 22:09 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dialects Oct 11, 2020

Every region, and indeed every town in Italy, has its own dialect. Having worked in places like Rome, Turin, and Venice, I understand most, though not all, of their local dialects. I also lived and worked in Bologna for two years but despite this, I still find the Bolognese dialect almost completely incomprehensible. Having lived in Florence for more than 20 years, I picked up the local dialect working with Florentines every day. As a result I speak it fluently, but in normal conversation I usu... See more
Every region, and indeed every town in Italy, has its own dialect. Having worked in places like Rome, Turin, and Venice, I understand most, though not all, of their local dialects. I also lived and worked in Bologna for two years but despite this, I still find the Bolognese dialect almost completely incomprehensible. Having lived in Florence for more than 20 years, I picked up the local dialect working with Florentines every day. As a result I speak it fluently, but in normal conversation I usually speak correct Italian (with a Tuscan tinge). A hotel receptionist in Venice once asked me "what part of Tuscany are you from?".

But my original Irish dialect, which I learned at home and school, is an East Antrim variant of Scots-Irish. Later I moved to Belfast, where the accent is completely different and where I began to lose my Scots-Irish pronunciation. I've long since lost the Antrim accent now, but I know if I went back there I would slide into it again. Currently I speak a fairly clear version of standard "educated" English but with a faint American tinge because of the years I spent working with American students and academics. But I'm basically IRISH.

[Edited at 2020-10-11 11:23 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Gudrun Wolfrath

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
North Derry Oct 11, 2020

Just northwest of Tom. The quaintly unlovely gutturalness has mellowed over the years, especially when you don't speak it for days, weeks and months at a time, only write it. When I do speak it, it always seems such a strange voice to me, like someone else is speaking it. It must be because of all that usage of Spanish and Basque over the years. But it was always only an accent, not really Ulster-Scots dialect.

My parents were both from places maybe not even mapped at the time, and
... See more
Just northwest of Tom. The quaintly unlovely gutturalness has mellowed over the years, especially when you don't speak it for days, weeks and months at a time, only write it. When I do speak it, it always seems such a strange voice to me, like someone else is speaking it. It must be because of all that usage of Spanish and Basque over the years. But it was always only an accent, not really Ulster-Scots dialect.

My parents were both from places maybe not even mapped at the time, and both grew up with what certainly was a dialect. When they took me as a kid to see their old stamping grounds, I barely understood a word the people said there. My mother wrote poems in her old Toberbilly dialect in her later years, but to get on in life she had had to lose it, and my dad had had to shed his Magherafelt diction to do the same. Even the names give you an inkling that the talk's going to be weird and wonderful.
Collapse

expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
? Oct 11, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
But my original Irish dialect, which I learned at home and school, is an East Antrim variant of Scots-Irish. Later I moved to Belfast, where the accent is completely different and where I began to lose my Scots-Irish pronunciation. I've long since lost the Antrim accent now, but I know if I went back there I would slide into it again. Currently I speak a fairly clear version of standard "educated" English but with a faint American tinge because of the years I spent working with American students and academics. But I'm basically IRISH.

I wouldn’t want to start a war or anything, but doesn’t that mean you’re basically BRITISH?

expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
None Oct 11, 2020

I was born under a bad sign, which means partly that wine and women is all I crave, but also that I don’t know exactly where I originated since most of the letters had dropped off.

There must also have been a wandrin’ star in the sky, as I’ve never settled anywhere long enough to pick up a dialect or even a proper accent, which has to be a sign of failure for a so-called linguist.

I used to be able to pass for a Norwegian when in Sweden. And I can do a mean impr
... See more
I was born under a bad sign, which means partly that wine and women is all I crave, but also that I don’t know exactly where I originated since most of the letters had dropped off.

There must also have been a wandrin’ star in the sky, as I’ve never settled anywhere long enough to pick up a dialect or even a proper accent, which has to be a sign of failure for a so-called linguist.

I used to be able to pass for a Norwegian when in Sweden. And I can do a mean impression of a Cardiganshire farmer. But that’s about it.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Liviu-Lee Roth
Zibow Retailleau

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No Oct 11, 2020

Chris S wrote:
...doesn’t that mean you’re basically BRITISH?

No. And the best version of "Born Under a Bad Sign" is by Albert King. Sorry about the bad sound balance (too much bass, not enough drums, keyboards man completely inaudible)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAFO4cBlS8o

[Edited at 2020-10-11 17:21 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sorry to diverge a little bit, Oct 11, 2020

but I think it is worth mentioning.

"My parents were both from places maybe not even mapped at the time... My mother wrote poems in her old Toberbilly dialect in her later years..."

Tom, you don't have much faith in the history of map-making.
Toberbilly was recorded on Lendrick's map of Co Antrim in 1780 and the first Ordnance Survey map of Co Antrim was produced between 1832 and 1846.

Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not Tom Oct 11, 2020

No, that was me, Juvera.

Thanks for the correction!

I do realise that, and I've never confessed to this on site, but I am actually well over 250 years old, so that's what I mean when I say they weren't mapped when my parents were growing up. Fresh air, regular exercise and bottled Guinness are the secret to longevity.

[Edited at 2020-10-11 17:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-11 17:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-11 17:55 GMT]

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Liviu-Lee Roth

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sorry again, Mervyn and Tom Oct 11, 2020

I was rushing, as usual.

Mervyn, I always had my suspicions about you
I too can vouch for Guinness.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That makes two of us Oct 11, 2020

Chris S wrote:

I used to be able to pass for a Norwegian when in Sweden. And I can do a mean impression of a Cardiganshire farmer. But that’s about it.

Me too... I used to pass for an Iranian, a Moroccan, a Greek, and an Israeli due to my bad English accent, I believe
Nobody ever got my nationality right.
I can also impersonate Portuguese spoken in Africa (it is the same spoken in Portugal with a different flavour).

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Fatine Echenique

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I lied Oct 12, 2020

It was not because of my English bad accent (I am not fluently brilliant in my target languages, I admit it)... it was due to my horrible Arabic accent when I was abroad for some time.
I tried, but I couldn't. My throat or phonetic apparatus (?) is not prepared for this language. On the other hand, I enjoyed writing it when I had classes.
For me, the most important is to master my own dialect for the time being

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What "dialects" do you speak?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »