Thread poster: Jean Dimitriadis
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:36
English to Turkish
Someone is taking the piss May 16, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:
Is this a sample of the output of GPT4, I wonder?

As they did on the "Endangered species" thread, using the name 'Jesse Jackson'.
Good idea though, using AI to wind people up.

Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:36
French to English
+ ...
Management speak May 16, 2023

Denis Fesik wrote:

I'm not in the habit of asking questions to AI, so here's another characteristic of the post being referred to (and one that GPT4 will probably not come up with): after you've browsed through the title and the first sentence or two, you don't want to keep reading. I made a similar observation about some texts that were written by humans and sent over to me for translation. Those were some of the finest examples of manager speak. I thought: wow, maybe there's something they do to format the brains of MBA students so that, in the end, they'd be able to generate miles worth of similar text without making any meaningful intellectual effort – or making any difference by what they have written

So maybe it's the MBAs, not the translators, who should worry the most about getting replaced with AI systems in the near future.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
New skills May 17, 2023

Anton Konashenok wrote:

So maybe it's the MBAs, not the translators, who should worry the most about getting replaced with AI systems in the near future.

On the other hand, maybe the ability to regurgitate lexical garbage imitative of an AI will be viewed as a useful job skill for humans in the future.

All it will take is a little creative rebranding. I can imagine the ad:

There's an AI, churning out bland meaningless text, in the left panel; on the right is a human being doing exactly the same (speech bubble: Blah, blah, blah, goals, blah, targets, blah, mission, blah). The caption underneath says: "The difference is ... HE [arrow pointing to human] really means it!!"

They could get DALL-E to do the images and layout.

P.L.F. Persio

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
Mission statement May 17, 2023

In case anybody feels like having a go, here's a mission statement suggested by ChatGPT:

Mission Statement:
At [Company Name], our mission is to revolutionize the way people live, work, and connect through transformative technology. By fostering a culture of innovation, we empower individuals and organizations to reach their full potential and create a positive impact on society. Together, we strive to build a future where technology serves as a catalyst for progress, inclu
... See more
In case anybody feels like having a go, here's a mission statement suggested by ChatGPT:

Mission Statement:
At [Company Name], our mission is to revolutionize the way people live, work, and connect through transformative technology. By fostering a culture of innovation, we empower individuals and organizations to reach their full potential and create a positive impact on society. Together, we strive to build a future where technology serves as a catalyst for progress, inclusion, and sustainable development.

I forgot about "empower". As I understand it, "empowerment" means asking people to do more work for the same money.
Collapse

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
polishedwords

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
They’ve been among us for years May 17, 2023

[quote]Philip Lees wrote:
At [Company Name], our mission is to revolutionize the way people live, work, and connect through transformative technology. By fostering a culture of innovation, we empower individuals and organizations to reach their full potential and create a positive impact on society. Together, we strive to build a future where technology serves as a catalyst for progress, inclusion, and sustainable development.
I’ve translated that exact same mission statement a dozen times over the years. Spooky…

P.L.F. Persio
Tony Keily
Baran Keki

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
I don't want to think it, but... May 18, 2023

There's just something in the cadence of that mission statement that reminds me of:

"The beauty of human mind, the wonder of natural language(s), culture and communication, the passing and transformations that wizards-translators and interprets operate from one tongue to another, the fascinating feats and mastery of craftsmen and craftswomen and the sheer word magic at work."

Could Jean be a bot?!

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You caught me there May 18, 2023

What was the dead giveaway? The waxing lyrical or the heavy-handed parataxis? I added a playful s between parenthesis for good measure, just to muddy the waters, but you've seen through all my tricks and treats. Back to the drawing board, human in the loop.

At the start of the thread, I asked just one thing: Let's not delve into pitting/comparing human against machine, there's a myriad of other threads for that. Yet here we are. Our minds wonder. And that's more proof of the
... See more
What was the dead giveaway? The waxing lyrical or the heavy-handed parataxis? I added a playful s between parenthesis for good measure, just to muddy the waters, but you've seen through all my tricks and treats. Back to the drawing board, human in the loop.

At the start of the thread, I asked just one thing: Let's not delve into pitting/comparing human against machine, there's a myriad of other threads for that. Yet here we are. Our minds wonder. And that's more proof of the collective fascination I was talking about.

If I understand correctly, there has even been the unmasking of a chat assistant giving three cheers to us human translators a few posts above. Who can make these things up. The human mind can be fascinating, to be sure, but most of the time… it just boggles the mind.

I've been meaning to make a post and reply to many of the thread contributions, but have been caught up in a rich spell. Soon, friends…

Tony Keily wrote:

There's just something in the cadence of that mission statement that reminds me of:

"The beauty of human mind, the wonder of natural language(s), culture and communication, the passing and transformations that wizards-translators and interprets operate from one tongue to another, the fascinating feats and mastery of craftsmen and craftswomen and the sheer word magic at work."

Could Jean be a bot?!

[Edited at 2023-05-18 16:10 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Tony Keily

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thread moved to inappropriate forum Jun 7, 2023

I've been notified that the "post "Fascinating human mind, language and translation" has been moved to a more appropriate forum. "

Previous forum category: Translation Theory and Practice
Current forum category: Artificial intelligence (AI)

May I remind that the post title is "Fascinating human mind, language and translation." (quand même !) and it was about celebrating translation, translators and the human mind without pitting them against MT or AI. In fact, co
... See more
I've been notified that the "post "Fascinating human mind, language and translation" has been moved to a more appropriate forum. "

Previous forum category: Translation Theory and Practice
Current forum category: Artificial intelligence (AI)

May I remind that the post title is "Fascinating human mind, language and translation." (quand même !) and it was about celebrating translation, translators and the human mind without pitting them against MT or AI. In fact, comparing against these technologies was expressly discouraged.

The irony of this move is not lost on me, yet it stings like an insult.

Hopefully, the move will be reversed (issue raised with the moderator). Otherwise, this thread has no "raison d'être".
Collapse

expressisverbis
Tom in London
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Anton Konashenok
QHE

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
This only goes to show how wonderfully messy human communciation is Jun 8, 2023

One of the basic features of human communication is that it doesn't occur in a vacuum. Our statements partake in their context and are made up of components whose larger significance is not ours to choose. Equally, we have little control over how our statements will be received, interpreted, used and, as in this case, reclassified. So this dérive away from your original intention is typical of what happens when we dip our toes into the stream of language in action.

It could
... See more
One of the basic features of human communication is that it doesn't occur in a vacuum. Our statements partake in their context and are made up of components whose larger significance is not ours to choose. Equally, we have little control over how our statements will be received, interpreted, used and, as in this case, reclassified. So this dérive away from your original intention is typical of what happens when we dip our toes into the stream of language in action.

It could also be pointed out that you defined your preferred subject area against or at the exclusion of AI, at a time when the non-human is threatening to destroy our livelihoods by year's end. This immediately extended it an invitation, in large print, to become the huge elephant in our chat-room, a presence that would loom over our conversations, even the most compliant of these, making itself ever more felt with each stern reminder of your initial constitutional prohibition.

In the event, this scenario didn't come about, because -- when most posters immediately disobeyed your call -- we effectively handed the elephant a beer and all went out into the garden, with its piped creative-commons licensed birdsong, AstroTurfed lawn and baleful HappyLite solar-simulater sunshine. Our own little Terrestrial Paradise with a plastic potted palm in the corner, the first and ninth letters of the alphabet carved into its polypropylene bark, the tree whose fruit we all know we must, at all costs, avoid...

[Edited at 2023-06-08 10:47 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Jean Dimitriadis
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Fascinating human mind, language and translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »