Noha Mostafa  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 16:59
Member (2008)
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 22, 2011

Hello,

I've recently installed SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3 and SDL MultiTerm 2009 Desktop SP4

When I tried to add a new term to the MultiTerm Termbase while I was translating on the Studio Editor view, I found that "Add New Term" was grayed out.

Could anyone advise me how can I make it available and not grayed out?

Regards,
Noha Mostafa

Alexey Larin
Alexey Larin  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 17:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Maybe this can help May 22, 2011

Hi!
Maybe this could help http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Edit_View/Terms/EVTermbaseActionsAdd_Terms_to_a_Termbase.htm

Make sure that you've created default Termbase first in SDL MultiTerm.

You can watch tutoria
... See more
Hi!
Maybe this could help http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Edit_View/Terms/EVTermbaseActionsAdd_Terms_to_a_Termbase.htm

Make sure that you've created default Termbase first in SDL MultiTerm.

You can watch tutorial videos at http://www.translationzone.com/en/support/video-tutorials/default.asp
Collapse

Noha Mostafa
Egypt
Member (2008)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Add New Term" grayed out in Trados Studio SP3 & MiltiTerm Desktop SP4 May 22, 2011

Hello Alexey,

Thank you for your kind help. Actually, I already tried your first link before (it was in my training manual) to add a new term to MultiTerm Termbase but the problem is that after highlighting the term in both source & target languages and right click to insert the new term, I find the option "Add New Term" grayed out and not enabling me to add the term.

Thank you for your other links but they are not relevant to my case because I don't have termbase to ex
... See more
Hello Alexey,

Thank you for your kind help. Actually, I already tried your first link before (it was in my training manual) to add a new term to MultiTerm Termbase but the problem is that after highlighting the term in both source & target languages and right click to insert the new term, I find the option "Add New Term" grayed out and not enabling me to add the term.

Thank you for your other links but they are not relevant to my case because I don't have termbase to export or search with view that I just started working on the application & I'm trying to add terms to activate Term Recognition which doesn't work also.

My problem is how could I make the "Add New Term" in Studio SP3 be available & not grayed out.
Collapse

Alexey Larin
Belarus
English to Russian
+ ...
"Add New Term" grayed out in Trados Studio SP3 & MiltiTerm Desktop SP4 May 22, 2011

Hello!
The only time I had situation like this is when I didn't have Termbase enabled for my project. So I had to go to Project Settings -> Language Pairs -> All Language Pairs -> Termbases -> Add (select existing Termbase previously created with SDL MultiTerm)

Juan Piedrahita

Noha Mostafa
Egypt
Member (2008)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Thank you so much Alexey for your concern.

I think my case is different because I'm starting from scratch. I didn't work before on Trados nor MultiTerm & I just installed & started using the application. I don't have previous Termbases to add.

The only easy option I have is to add terms manually while translating in Editor view but the fact that "Add New Term" is grayed out doesn't enable me to add any terms. I think there must be a missing step that I didn't do. I've
... See more
Thank you so much Alexey for your concern.

I think my case is different because I'm starting from scratch. I didn't work before on Trados nor MultiTerm & I just installed & started using the application. I don't have previous Termbases to add.

The only easy option I have is to add terms manually while translating in Editor view but the fact that "Add New Term" is grayed out doesn't enable me to add any terms. I think there must be a missing step that I didn't do. I've read the training guide but not a clue & searched talisma but couldn't reach an answer.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 15:59
French to German
+ ...
Maybe a very basic question .. May 22, 2011

... but did you assign a termbase to your project?

Check what is displayed in the term recognition window while you are in the target column of the Editor. If it says "No open termbase", it means that you have not assigned any termbase to your translation project.

As soon as you have assigned at least one termbase to your project, the term recognition window will display 'No results available' instead.

You can assign a termbase to your project by clicking
... See more

Check what is displayed in the term recognition window while you are in the target column of the Editor. If it says "No open termbase", it means that you have not assigned any termbase to your translation project.

As soon as you have assigned at least one termbase to your project, the term recognition window will display 'No results available' instead.

You can assign a termbase to your project by clicking on "Project Settings" and navigating to 'All Language pairs - Termbases".

Waslter
Collapse

Alexey Larin
Belarus
English to Russian
+ ...
The very basic... May 22, 2011

Walter Blaser wrote:

You can assign a termbase to your project by clicking on "Project Settings" and navigating to 'All Language pairs - Termbases".

Waslter

Thanks Walter.
That's exactly what I'm trying to say... you have to create Termbase first using SDL MultiTerm and then assign it to your project that you're working on.

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:59
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
maybe a small problem (Studio, add term) May 23, 2011

let's assume you created & opened your termbase.

you select the source term, then click right and select the corresponding target term, the window opens:

be careful, if the arrow is no longer on the selected target term, the add term function doesn't work.

you must click right and keep the arrow on the target selected term, then choose add new term.

If you don't do that (i.e. if you move the arrow) and choose add term, the source
... See more

you select the source term, then click right and select the corresponding target term, the window opens:

be careful, if the arrow is no longer on the selected target term, the add term function doesn't work.

you must click right and keep the arrow on the target selected term, then choose add new term.

If you don't do that (i.e. if you move the arrow) and choose add term, the source term entry is created and the target term is not created in the termbase.

This detail is not written in the "help" page.

I hope it helps

Marie
Collapse

Noha Mostafa
Egypt
Member (2008)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Add New Term" grayed out in Trados Studio SP3 & MiltiTerm Desktop SP4 May 23, 2011

Thank you Alexey, Walter and Marie for your kind help.

The problem is that I'm working in English/Arabic language pairs & no sample termbase provided for my language combination. Therefore, I should create a termbase from scratch for my language pairs. I was trying to evade this step because it's too long & I might encounter problems but it seems the only way to enable me use MultiTerm and activate term recognition.

Thank you all for your concern.

Noha Mostafa
Egypt
Member (2008)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Add New Term" grayed out - help needed" May 24, 2011

Thank you Alexey, Walter and Marie for your kind help.

I managed to create a termbase and after adding it, the button "Add New Term" is now working.

Thank you so much for your time & concern.

Regards,
Noha Mostafa

Yves Lanthier
Yves Lanthier
Canada
Local time: 10:59
English to French
Same for Studio 2011: "Add New Term" greyed out Jul 21, 2012

Hi,

I've read the thread and everything seems to be the same for Studio 2011 SP2 and MultiTerm SP2, so I think that I can ask the following question:

When trying to create a Termbase, the following error message displays (translated from French):

"MultiTerm cannot create a Termbase. Class not registered" (*)

I kept on creating the Termbase anyway just to see (I was allowed to name the *.sdltb file and to put it where I wanted), but got another
... See more
Hi,

I've read the thread and everything seems to be the same for Studio 2011 SP2 and MultiTerm SP2, so I think that I can ask the following question:

When trying to create a Termbase, the following error message displays (translated from French):

"MultiTerm cannot create a Termbase. Class not registered" (*)

I kept on creating the Termbase anyway just to see (I was allowed to name the *.sdltb file and to put it where I wanted), but got another error message when trying to assign it to the project (from French):

"This Termbase cannot be opened because it has been created with a version of MultiTerm that is not supported."

(*) While installing both 2011s yesterday, I was a bit surprised not to be asked to enter the 18-digit key for MultiTerm; I had been asked and done it for Studio, of course.

Thanks in advance for any hint.
Collapse

Anatoly Dragan
Anatoly Dragan  Identity Verified
Israel
Hebrew to Russian
+ ...
In windows "Projects termbase settings" Mar 15, 2016

Noha Mostafa wrote:

Hello,

I've recently installed SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3 and SDL MultiTerm 2009 Desktop SP4

When I tried to add a new term to the MultiTerm Termbase while I was translating on the Studio Editor view, I found that "Add New Term" was grayed out.

Could anyone advise me how can I make it available and not grayed out?

Regards,
Noha Mostafa

You need click on "Not specified" to language that you want....English ...for example

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:59
English to Spanish
Add New Term - Thanks a lot! Mar 3, 2020

Here we are: 2020. Thanks a lot! So easy. I must have forgotten the instructions, after all, my memory used to be green but, it looks like the cows went out for a byte to eat.

Madeleine Chevassus wrote:

If you don't do that (i.e. if you move the arrow) and choose add term, the source term entry is created and the target term is not created in the termbase.

This detail is not written in the "help" page.

I hope it helps

Marie

Noha Mostafa

Sofia Ziskind
Sofia Ziskind  Identity Verified
Israel
German to English
+ ...
have you tried turning it off and on again? Jun 25, 2022

worked for me. no joke. close the dang thing and open again. magic.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Add New Term" grayed out - help needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »