Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:55
English to French
+ ...
Jan 17, 2011

Hello,

I work with Studio and would need to have my source and target files (*.docx) displayed side-by-side in the real preview/preview window.

I can see the target or source file in the window, using the appropriate tab ("target" or "source"), but the tab in the middle ("side-by-side") remains greyed regardless of the format I choose (bottom left of the window: Normal, Print view or Outline view).

I am speaking about the (real time) preview in the previe
... See more
Hello,

I work with Studio and would need to have my source and target files (*.docx) displayed side-by-side in the real preview/preview window.

I can see the target or source file in the window, using the appropriate tab ("target" or "source"), but the tab in the middle ("side-by-side") remains greyed regardless of the format I choose (bottom left of the window: Normal, Print view or Outline view).

I am speaking about the (real time) preview in the preview window (and not about previewing the document as a bilingual SDLXLIFF file in a web browser), as explained on SDL's website:

"Preview in the Preview Window
The Preview window is used to preview your source text or target text or both the source and target side-by-side. You can select how you want to preview your document in the Preview window:
* Preview -(...).
* Real-time Preview - (...)
"
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Edit_View/About_Previewing.htm

Would anyone know how to use/activate that "side-by-side" feature?

Many thanks

(Studio SP3, MS Office 2010)
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is a tab for this Jan 17, 2011

When you open the preview pane in Studio, you should see three tabs, Source, Side-by-Side and Target. At least this is what I see in SP3.

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the tab is greyed Jan 17, 2011

Hello Jerzy,

Thank you, I do see these 3 tabs, but as mentioned I can only click on 2 of them (source/target). The tab in the centre (side-by-side) is greyed.

[Edited at 2011-01-17 15:21 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, I was too fast Jan 17, 2011

Do you have Office 2007 on your system?
I must admit I never tried to use this particular feature...

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Office 2010 Jan 17, 2011

Thank you. No, I have Office 2010 (Windows 7), and my Studio is fully up to date. The source and target previews work perfectly well...

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Then it should work Jan 17, 2011

Office 2007 is the minimum AFAIK.
Just to be sure: you have this software installed: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=938fe8ad-583b-4bd7-a345-23250dc15855
This could be the only thing I can think of, which can be responsible for the interaction between Studio and Office.

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes it is installed Jan 17, 2011

Hi Jerzy, yes I already had this software installed. I just re-installed it just in case, but nothing changed.
To avoid any doubt: my screen is exactly the same as in this post: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/162982-preview_text_garbled.html#1372711 (sorry I do not know how to publish a picture), except that, in the preview window
... See more
Hi Jerzy, yes I already had this software installed. I just re-installed it just in case, but nothing changed.
To avoid any doubt: my screen is exactly the same as in this post: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/162982-preview_text_garbled.html#1372711 (sorry I do not know how to publish a picture), except that, in the preview window (right hand window), the "side-by-side" tab is greyed so I cannot click on it.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
To post a picture online Jan 17, 2011

you have to upload it somwhere to b accessible via Internet.
Then you use the tag [ img ]htto://www.myfoto.com[ / img ]
(without spaces in tags)

To your primary problem I unfortunately do not have a solution, sorry.

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Jan 17, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
you have to upload it somwhere to b accessible via Internet.
Then you use the tag [ img ]htto://www.myfoto.com[ / img ]
(without spaces in tags)

Thank you! I knew I had seen that explanation somewhere but could not remember the code!

Regarding my 'side-by-side" problem, I hope someone from SDL Support will pass by...

Thank you for your efforts as always, Jerzy.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just passing... Jan 17, 2011

Aude Sylvain wrote:

Regarding my 'side-by-side" problem, I hope someone from SDL Support will pass by...

Hi Aude,

I think you've been mislead a little by the help. Apologies for that and I will raise a correction with Technical Publications to make sure this is clear in the future.

We can only preview side-by-side for HTML or XML like this;

For the side-by-side preview if you are using any other format, as we use the native applications to preview and not an html rendition, this is difficult to manage so you would have to use the html preview which opens in a browser but is not in real time.

Regards

Paul

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul! Jan 17, 2011

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for your clarification! Indeed I was thinking about you

In fact I hoped I could see both the source and target content in a kind of WYSIWYG format, so the html preview (that opens in a browser) won't be very helpful... Then I guess the simplest, for my particular case, would be to generate a target *.docx from time to time... and put it side-by-side with the *.docx source manuall
... See more
Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for your clarification! Indeed I was thinking about you

In fact I hoped I could see both the source and target content in a kind of WYSIWYG format, so the html preview (that opens in a browser) won't be very helpful... Then I guess the simplest, for my particular case, would be to generate a target *.docx from time to time... and put it side-by-side with the *.docx source manually.

Kind regards
Collapse

Daniel Weston
Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:55
French to English
+ ...
Another option Jan 18, 2011

Hi Aude - another option:

File > View In > Microsoft Word as Source

Then once that is opened, go back to Studio,

File > View In > Microsoft Word as Target

Then just use the view side-by-side in Word.

It works this way, but it may be just as easy to generate the target docx and do as you mentioned above...

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
View in... Jan 18, 2011

Hi Daniel,

Thanks very much for your suggestion.

It seems a great idea, but I can't open the source and then the target using that method (File > View In > Microsoft Word as Source/as Target). I would have an error message when MS Word tries to open the second file (I assume it's because Trados gives the same name to both files).

However I succeeded in opening the target in MS Word through Studio (File > View In > Microsoft Word as Target) and then openin
... See more
Hi Daniel,

Thanks very much for your suggestion.

It seems a great idea, but I can't open the source and then the target using that method (File > View In > Microsoft Word as Source/as Target). I would have an error message when MS Word tries to open the second file (I assume it's because Trados gives the same name to both files).

However I succeeded in opening the target in MS Word through Studio (File > View In > Microsoft Word as Target) and then opening the source directly from my folder (HD) using Word. It's perfect - much quicker than generating an updated target docx file every 5 minutes.

Many thanks for this tip, Daniel.
Collapse

Daniel Weston
Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:55
French to English
+ ...
I'm using Word 2007 Jan 18, 2011

Maybe something changed with Word 2010? It seems to open both files for me, but at least you found a way around it!

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word 2010/2007 Jan 18, 2011

Hi Daniel,
Yes, they may have changed something between Office 2007 or 2010. Or, and most probably, I would need to adapt my settings (but how?).
In any case your suggestion was extremely helpful, I've been using it today (View in... MS Word as Target) and it works really fine!
Thanks again

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

real-time preview "side-by-side" in Studio's preview window

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »