Thread poster: anastasiawhite
anastasiawhite
anastasiawhite  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:42
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 21, 2018

I am a new freelance translator and I'm not sure if this is a scam.
I got an email from Kevin Deaton, [email protected], that said the following:
Hello and how are you doing today? I would like to know if you will be able to translate a document from English to Russian which I'm to use for a presentation in a month.
Thanks

And then I got a pdf called "Concept of Capitalism" and it was the second chapter of
... See more
I am a new freelance translator and I'm not sure if this is a scam.
I got an email from Kevin Deaton, [email protected], that said the following:
Hello and how are you doing today? I would like to know if you will be able to translate a document from English to Russian which I'm to use for a presentation in a month.
Thanks

And then I got a pdf called "Concept of Capitalism" and it was the second chapter of a book. I asked him for his business address, phone number and website, but he didn't provide any. This seems fishy.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Touchstone_Tran
Walter Landesman
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Vadim Kadyrov

Touchstone_Tran
Touchstone_Tran
United States
Local time: 18:42
English to French
+ ...
Yes, definitely a scam Sep 21, 2018

I received a very similar request and if you check on the forums here, there is a whole thread about this guy. He goes by different names, but it's always the same scam. Large document that needs translation for a presentation in 6 weeks. Refuses to give the name of the company he represents, a phone number or any business details. Offers partial payment up front and refuses to pay with PayPal, only wants your bank details.

Delete and block.

Macarena Corte

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, it is. Sep 21, 2018

This part "which I'm to use for a presentation in a month" reflects a typical writing style of many scammers.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with the above Sep 21, 2018

I would only add that I have never had an experience in which something that appeared this fishy turned out *not* to be a scam.

So I would suggest that, in the future, you trust your instincts: if it looks like a scam, it probably is a scam, and act as if it is a scam.

If you have any doubt that the offer might be legit, and you still want to give the offering party a chance to work with you, then insist on advance payment via secure means (e.g., PayPal, MoneyGram, or
... See more
I would only add that I have never had an experience in which something that appeared this fishy turned out *not* to be a scam.

So I would suggest that, in the future, you trust your instincts: if it looks like a scam, it probably is a scam, and act as if it is a scam.

If you have any doubt that the offer might be legit, and you still want to give the offering party a chance to work with you, then insist on advance payment via secure means (e.g., PayPal, MoneyGram, or Western Union). Doing this will most likely end the conversation, given that payment via a check (that eventually bounces) is part and parcel of the scam.

[Edited at 2018-09-21 13:17 GMT]
Collapse

PRB
PRB
Local time: 17:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Stay away from this scammer! Oct 2, 2018

Someone I know recently fell for it and lost a few thousand dollars.
The "client" identified himself as Kevin Deaton and said he needed that same huge translation about Capitalism for a presentation. He offered to pay 50% in advance and "accidentally" sent a check for a way larger amount, so he requested the translator to immediately send the difference back arguing that otherwise he would be in trouble with his boss. The check was fake and the translator lost his money. A police report ha
... See more
Someone I know recently fell for it and lost a few thousand dollars.
The "client" identified himself as Kevin Deaton and said he needed that same huge translation about Capitalism for a presentation. He offered to pay 50% in advance and "accidentally" sent a check for a way larger amount, so he requested the translator to immediately send the difference back arguing that otherwise he would be in trouble with his boss. The check was fake and the translator lost his money. A police report has already been filed.
Collapse

MEQTRANS
MEQTRANS
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
kevin Deaton is fraud Oct 2, 2018

This guy cheated on me. I did the translation and he never paid for it. can anyone do something to stop him?
We must stop these people.

Macarena Corte

Scam Oct 10, 2018

I did a 12,400-word translation to this man. Kevin Deaton, 620.00 USD, al excuses have been used not to pay. This was 3 months ago.
Is there any way I can do something about it? I feel frustrated and very very angry.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a scam?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »