Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working - here is what I tried Jun 22, 2018

Nate,
Here are the tests that I did.
Test sequence #1:
1. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was wrong.
2. Settings->Safari->Advanced->Website Data and Cleared the website data for Proz.com
3. Opened up Proz.com in Safari, and logged in.
4. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was OK.
5. Selected Terminology-> Answer questions
6. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was OK.
7. Clicked on a term question, page opened OK.
8. Pulled down the "bur
... See more
Nate,
Test sequence #1:
1. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was wrong.
2. Settings->Safari->Advanced->Website Data and Cleared the website data for Proz.com
3. Opened up Proz.com in Safari, and logged in.
4. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was OK.
5. Selected Terminology-> Answer questions
6. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was OK.
7. Clicked on a term question, page opened OK.
8. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was OK.
9. Selected Forums from the menu.
10. Forums page opened up OK.
11. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was wrong.
12. Clicked on the little man figure, opened my profile OK.
13. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was OK.
14. Selected Forums from the menu.
15. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was wrong.
It looks like the Forum page has the menu messed up.

Test sequence #2:
1. Settings->Safari->Advanced->Website Data and Cleared the website data for Proz.com
2. Opened up Proz.com in Safari, and logged in.
3. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was OK.
4. Selected Forums from the menu.
5. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was wrong.

Test sequence #3:
1. Settings->Safari->Clear all history and website data (just in case deleting ProZ.com website data wasn't enough and there is still a cache issue)
2. Opened up Proz.com in Safari, and logged in.
3. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was OK.
4. Selected Forums from the menu.
5. Pulled down the "burger" menu, it was wrong.
Collapse

Nate Hill
Nate Hill
United States
English
+ ...
Please check one more time Jun 22, 2018

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Nate,

Katalin,

I apologize for making you jump through hoops like that, but I was not able to reproduce the issue as the first fix I implemented solved the problem for me.

Thanks for the excellent steps to follow! That makes it very helpful. Unfortunately I still wasn't able to reproduce the problem. So I've added a couple more checks to forums that I think will solve your issue.

Please keep me updated.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:50
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Jun 22, 2018

I did Test sequence #3.
Same issue.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further testing and ideas Jun 23, 2018

Nate, it is not a Forum-only issue. In fact, I found the same problem with several other pages.
For example, I checked every sub-menu item in the Terminology menu, and the same problem is present with KudoZ Glossaries, Glosspost and Personal Glossaries. On the The Term Search page, the burger menu is fine, but the width of entire top green menubar is incorrect, there is a gap on the right side of the screen.
Look:
IMG_0460

Also, when I click on the menu, it pulls down, but the underlying page scrolls down and off the screen.
I have a screenshot of that, too:
IMG_0461

In the Member Activities, when selecting the following sub-menus, the pages that are displayed have the same problem with the burger menu (full-width menu, not the page rolling down off-screen):
Forums, What translators are working on. Then I looked at the Jobs & directories section, and the same problem is present on the ProZ.com Find page. I stopped trying out sub-menus at this point, because - well, time.
I also observed that the font size of the texts in the burger menu and also in the top green menubar not consistent throughout the various sub-pages. It is as if there are several different stylesheets being used.

I also observed something else that might be the crux of the issue.
Whenever this screen-wide menu thing happens, and I select an item out of the five, that row gets highlighted in dark green, and the little arrow on the left side turns around, to point to the right. At the same time, a vertical row of dark green pixels appear at the very edge of the screen, on the left. I believe it is the sub-menu, that normally would be displayed to the left of the pull-down menu, but because the pull-down menu takes up the entire screen width, it is either pushed outside of the screen, or displayed with the width of a single pixel. Look at the screenshots below.
IMG_0462

IMG_0463

If you can't reproduce this, could you tell me which iOS are you running on your iPad and what model is that?

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 16:50
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Page freezes Jun 23, 2018

On my iPad (second issue) the Proz.com profile page freezes-iPad freezes for other Apps but then I can access those after some time unlike for Proz.com. I am not a technical person so please Nate, do not ask me as you asked Katalin. I am posting here as it seems Katalin is not the only one to have those issues. I simply cannot access Forum, Kudoz, Poll, etc. The page simply freezes-it just asked me to log in and then simply froze. Other sites -Twitter, LinkedIn, FB, Safari, Google, etc- freeze f... See more
On my iPad (second issue) the Proz.com profile page freezes-iPad freezes for other Apps but then I can access those after some time unlike for Proz.com. I am not a technical person so please Nate, do not ask me as you asked Katalin. I am posting here as it seems Katalin is not the only one to have those issues. I simply cannot access Forum, Kudoz, Poll, etc. The page simply freezes-it just asked me to log in and then simply froze. Other sites -Twitter, LinkedIn, FB, Safari, Google, etc- freeze for a time as iPad is old but still good-but I can then still access them unlike Proz.com. Thank you.Collapse

Nate Hill
Nate Hill
United States
English
+ ...
Let's make sure the cache is really cleared Jun 25, 2018

For anyone with an iPad using Safari who has a dropdown menu off the screen or if the page seems to freeze (meaning nothing is clickable anymore), please try the following to make sure the cache is really cleared.

1. Click on the new tab icon (the two squares).
2. Click "Private" on the left to open a new private browsing tab.
3. Enter proz.com/forum (anywhere is fine if it has the main menu).
4. Touch the hamburger icon. Is it still wrong?
5. After opening t
... See more
For anyone with an iPad using Safari who has a dropdown menu off the screen or if the page seems to freeze (meaning nothing is clickable anymore), please try the following to make sure the cache is really cleared.

1. Click on the new tab icon (the two squares).
2. Click "Private" on the left to open a new private browsing tab.
3. Enter proz.com/forum (anywhere is fine if it has the main menu).
4. Touch the hamburger icon. Is it still wrong?
5. After opening the menu and closing it, are links on the page still clickable?

If you answer "yes" to 4 and 5, go back to your normal tabs by touching the new tab icon again and touching Private again. Go back or refresh the ProZ.com tab you had. How do things look there now?

If you can please let me know what happens when you try this, I think it will be a big help. I'm not able to reproduce these issues with an iPad running iOS 11, and I still believe it's a cache issue that is just not getting cleared properly.

Thanks again, Katalin, for all the excellent help and time on this. The term search spacing issue was a separate issue that I've also fixed. Thanks for reporting.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looks better, but it has nothing to do with the cache Jun 25, 2018

Hi Nate,
So this morning (actually close to noon, it's Sunday afterall) when I got up and made my coffee, I sat down with my iPad to read my emails. There was a job notification from ProZ, so I clicked on the link in the email which opened up Safari and the job page. I was logged in and Safari was loaded into the iPad as I left it last night. I read the job page, then I thought I would check out the forums, then I thought, darn it, it will be a torture with the menu being wrong... But to m
... See more
Hi Nate,
So this morning (actually close to noon, it's Sunday afterall) when I got up and made my coffee, I sat down with my iPad to read my emails. There was a job notification from ProZ, so I clicked on the link in the email which opened up Safari and the job page. I was logged in and Safari was loaded into the iPad as I left it last night. I read the job page, then I thought I would check out the forums, then I thought, darn it, it will be a torture with the menu being wrong... But to my surprise, the menu was fine, it worked as it was supposed to. I checked out a few of the pages that were problematic yesterday, and they were all OK. So I thought, well, Nate is not having his Sunday off, he must have done something either overnight or this morning because the menu is not spanning across the screen anymore.
I did not have time to comment on it here then, and did not have time to check all the pages that were affected yesterday. I was busy all day, and couldn't come back here until now.
So, what I am saying is that IMHO the fact that the menu was fixed as of noon today (EDT timezone) has nothing to do with the cache, because my cache (and the entire iPad) was exactly in the same state as last night, when the problem was present. I had not cleared the cache this morning, did not even shut down Safari or the iPad, just opened up the cover and started using it, and the problem appeared fixed.
Since I actively cleared the cache several times (including deleting EVERYTHING, not only ProZ.com web data) when I was doing all the testing you asked, and it did not help, and now it seems fixed without fussing with the cache, I am pretty sure something was changed on your end over the past 24 hours. Either you fixed something in addition to what you tried before, or finally the ProZ servers got synchronized and your previous fix made it over to whichever server I am being connected to.

As to the Term Search spacing issue, only half of the "gap" is fixed. See the screenshot below (I took it in Private mode, so this is not a cache issue):
IMG_0465
Collapse

Nate Hill

Nate Hill
Nate Hill
United States
English
+ ...
Thanks for letting me know Jun 25, 2018

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:
Either you fixed something in addition to what you tried before, or finally the ProZ servers got synchronized and your previous fix made it over to whichever server I am being connected to.

Yes, something was out of sync, but I'm glad yours is back up to the latest cache.

As to the Term Search spacing issue, only half of the "gap" is fixed.

Ok, thanks for pointing that out.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website no longer works correctly on iPad

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »