Michael Tovbin
Michael Tovbin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:35
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2018

I used to have "full access" because I was a "paying member". Now I suddenly discover that certain features are restricted because I am not "a paying enough member". I would like a listing of new services that are being offered (not offered previously) as part of the Plus membership. I would like to make sure that services previously available to me as a paying member have not been taken away as an incentive for me to pay more. 'cause I am contrary by nature. People try to get me to pay more, I ... See more
I used to have "full access" because I was a "paying member". Now I suddenly discover that certain features are restricted because I am not "a paying enough member". I would like a listing of new services that are being offered (not offered previously) as part of the Plus membership. I would like to make sure that services previously available to me as a paying member have not been taken away as an incentive for me to pay more. 'cause I am contrary by nature. People try to get me to pay more, I tend to find alternatives and pay less. Or make alternatives.Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hmmmm Aug 20, 2018

Michael Tovbin wrote:

I used to have "full access" because I was a "paying member". Now I suddenly discover that certain features are restricted because I am not "a paying enough member". I would like a listing of new services that are being offered (not offered previously) as part of the Plus membership. I would like to make sure that services previously available to me as a paying member have not been taken away as an incentive for me to pay more. 'cause I am contrary by nature. People try to get me to pay more, I tend to find alternatives and pay less. Or make alternatives.

Hmmm.. what services are you no longer getting that you used to get?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:35
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The price of standard membership went down! Aug 20, 2018

Michael Tovbin wrote:
I used to have "full access" because I was a "paying member". Now I suddenly discover that certain features are restricted because I am not "a paying enough member". I would like a listing of new services that are being offered (not offered previously) as part of the Plus membership. I would like to make sure that services previously available to me as a paying member have not been taken away as an incentive for me to pay more. 'cause I am contrary by nature. People try to get me to pay more, I tend to find alternatives and pay less. Or make alternatives.

It isn't a secret. You can compare the two types of membership here: https://www.proz.com/professional-membership
I don't think you've lost anything at all that you had before. On the other hand, you may be missing out on some new features you'd like to have. Any you are in fact paying less now!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Michael Aug 20, 2018

Michael Tovbin wrote:
Now I discover that certain features are restricted because I am not "a paying enough member". I would like a listing of new services that are being offered (not offered previously) as part of the Plus membership.

Strictly speaking, you lose nothing by not taking the Plus membership. The Plus membership has extra features. None of the features that were previously available to full paying members are now only available to Plus members. However, when ProZ.com announced the Plus membership package, they did close down some of the features that used to be available to all members (e.g. being able to pay on a per-use basis for certain features, or using one's BrowniZ points).

The Plus membership costs $60 more than the standard package, and for that $60 you get... priority positioning in TM Town freelance searches and priority positioning in API freelance searches. Plus some other things that you might not have bought otherwise anyway. Plus membership is basically a directory search positioning booster (and not a very good one at that).

Ricardo Suin
Ivana UK
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 08:35
SITE STAFF
No pre-existing membership benefits were made Plus package exclusive, only new benefits Aug 21, 2018

Hi Michael,

When the Plus package was introduced in November of 2016, the regular professional membership which had existed up until then became Standard membership. All of the benefits of membership until that point were kept within the Standard membership, and newer benefits or services which were released from that point on were released for the Plus package (which includes pre-existing member benefits plus new benefits that are still being added). In addition, as Sheila m
... See more
Hi Michael,

When the Plus package was introduced in November of 2016, the regular professional membership which had existed up until then became Standard membership. All of the benefits of membership until that point were kept within the Standard membership, and newer benefits or services which were released from that point on were released for the Plus package (which includes pre-existing member benefits plus new benefits that are still being added). In addition, as Sheila mentions, the pricing for Standard membership was reduced at that time.

At https://www.proz.com/professional-membership#comparison-table-section you can see a comparison chart of the different benefits of both membership packages. The new services which are part of the Plus package are shown in the green sections at the bottom of that table. If one or more of the benefits or services listed there meets your needs, it may be worthwhile to upgrade, but you have not lost any pre-existing benefits by staying with the Standard package. The ProZ.com site team is working to make the Plus package as valuable to as many professionals as it can, but I think at the moment that value is going to depend greatly on each person's needs. For someone interested in the material in the training video library, or looking for a new CAT tool or project management software, the value of the package is going to be greater than for someone who is not interested in those three specific benefits, and so on.

If you run into any questions or doubts about the newer benefits being released, please let me know.

Jared
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

layered PAYING membership?!!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »