Is there any way to stop hidden text from being imported into Fluency?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:58
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2018

I can't seem to find it. This is a very handy feature (which most CAT tools now have) so your client can specify what to translate / not translate, and you can hide whatever doesn't need to be translated.

Michael

[Edited at 2018-07-20 10:32 GMT]

reditheart

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:58
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
This feature is enabled Jul 21, 2018

Hi Michael,

You did not specify which type of files you are interested in.

When you upload an Excel file, the hidden cells have already been disabled. If you want to include them as well, you need to tick the relevant box. Please check the screenshot below.

Hidden text

The same applies to PDF conversion setting, excluding scanned PDF files. The hidden text is not included in the generated ftfx file unless you tick the relevant checkbox in the Preferences menu.

Hidden text-PDF

If you don't want to include certain part of a Word file, you need to colour the relevant text in Word, enable the relevant checkbox when generating the ftfx file and choose the colour of the text you don't need to translate.

Excluding text in Word

Georgi

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
+1 for Excel, -1 for Word Jul 21, 2018

The set of import and exclusion options for Excel is very interesting. Regarding the chosen procedure for Word, I think that this has been a bad design decision, since clients often like to use text colours themselves.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
indeed Jul 21, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:

The set of import and exclusion options for Excel is very interesting. Regarding the chosen procedure for Word, I think that this has been a bad design decision, since clients often like to use text colours themselves.

Not the best choice, iyam.

@Hans: have been testing different CAT tools as usual. although Fluency has a couple of interesting ideas, CafeTran pretty much beats it in every way still. one thing I like about Fluency, or thought I liked, is its interesting take on the user interface, where you get a full preview of both the source and target document while translating. However, I quickly realised that you need to switch off this feature pretty much immediately and turn on the ‘text only view’ because if you don't, you can't even translate a document with a few footnotes, as the translation editor soon becomes a complete mess. adding terms on-the u-fly is also a pain in the ass, among other things.

Georgi Kovachev
Bulgaria
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
really Jul 23, 2018

@ Michael
I agree with you that adding terms in Fluency is a pain in the ass if you use the plus button on the ribbon. Did you try to select a word/phrase in the source text and its translation in the target text, right-click and use 'Add Term(s) to Database'? This is much faster, especially in comparison with online CAT tools where you need to retype the target word/phrase in the relevant window of the glossary.
You can also select a word or short phrase in the source text, press Ct
... See more
@ Michael
I agree with you that adding terms in Fluency is a pain in the ass if you use the plus button on the ribbon. Did you try to select a word/phrase in the source text and its translation in the target text, right-click and use 'Add Term(s) to Database'? This is much faster, especially in comparison with online CAT tools where you need to retype the target word/phrase in the relevant window of the glossary.
You can also select a word or short phrase in the source text, press Ctrl+D and get an MT proposal. If you like it, you just double click the target text of MT window and that proposal is automatically inserted in the 'Translation' window.

Regarding complex files, you really need to use 'text only view'.

Can you recommend any other CAT tool that provides a dictionary of synonyms – right-clicking a word in the 'Translation' window in Fluency provides a drop-down list of synonyms and selecting one automatically inserts it therein? Please note that even my copy of Office 2010 does not have a dictionary of synonyms in Bulgarian despite the fact that its UI is in Bulgarian. I tried various CAT tools in 2011 (Trados, memoQ, XTM, Déjà Vu X2), but none provided such a feature at that time, which is why I opted for Fluency.

Georgi
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Alternative target terms/synonyms Jul 23, 2018

Georgi Kovachev wrote:

Can you recommend any other CAT tool that provides a dictionary of synonyms – right-clicking a word in the 'Translation' window

CafeTran Espresso 2018 has pushed the concept of 'Alternative target terms/synonyms' to the max.

You can use any of the available resources like the IATE or build dictionaries yourself.

CafeTran allows you to:

• Use an alternative target term/a synonym once (right mouse button, right-click).
  • Use an alternative target term/a synonym during the session (right mouse button, left-click).
  • Override any MT suggestion with your preferred alternative target term/synonym.

The beauty of this all, is that everything is maintained in plain text files. Directly available for editing in other editors.

Note that CafeTran also offers source-side alternatives (one of Michaels valuable contributions). If you have a lot of inconsistent source terms (meaning and writing), you can still maintain target-side consistency easily:

[Edited at 2018-07-23 09:24 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 23, 2018

Georgi Kovachev wrote:

@ Michael
You can also select a word or short phrase in the source text, press Ctrl+D and get an MT proposal. If you like it, you just double click the target text of MT window and that proposal is automatically inserted in the 'Translation' window.

Aha, thanks. I thought you always had to manually type one of them, but now see that it works if you select the src term first, then the trgt term, and then right-click and select Add term(s) to Database.

Regarding complex files, you really need to use 'text only view'.

Incidentally, is there any way to change between the ‘text only view’ and ‘full formatting view’ on-the-fly? Also, I searched for any mention to this ‘text only view’ in the manual, but can't find any reference to it.

However, this is still very disappointing, as the full formatting src/trgt view was one of Fleuncy's great features, but since 90% of the files I translate are fairly complex Word docs, I would ALWAYS have to switch it off. And, you are then left with a bad compromise, iyam. In the case of a text only view, you would then probably be better off with a grid-based approach, à la CafeTran, memoQ, DVX, studio, etc.

Can you recommend any other CAT tool that provides a dictionary of synonyms – right-clicking a word in the 'Translation' window in Fluency provides a drop-down list of synonyms and selecting one automatically inserts it therein? Please note that even my copy of Office 2010 does not have a dictionary of synonyms in Bulgarian despite the fact that its UI is in Bulgarian. I tried various CAT tools in 2011 (Trados, memoQ, XTM, Déjà Vu X2), but none provided such a feature at that time, which is why I opted for Fluency.

Georgi

Hmm, no, the built-in synonyms system offered by Fluency is pretty unique, and very interesting. I have discussed this with the developer of CafeTran a few times, but it is quite a task, as he would need to get his hands on synonym lists for all the languages the tool supports, which can probably ending up quite costly. In any case, I might ask Western Standard where they got theirs, as this is a great feature. I do know there are a few decent open source English thesauruses available, but know nothing about other languages.

However, as Hans noted, CafeTran more than makes up for its lack of built in synonym lists by offering:
1. proper support for synonyms/equivalents/alternatives, i.e. you can enter synonyms/alternatives for source or target terms yourself (which you can't in Fluency), simply by separating them with a semi colon
2. a very powerful term alternative preference system. when translating, you can on-the-fly change which alternative term CafeTran should always use in your project, or always, from the right-click menu

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PS: Jul 23, 2018

One of my little projects, which I may one day get around to finishing, is making my own English thesaurus (i.e. list of synonyms/alternatives), which can be used via right-click menu in any CAT tool, using AutoHotkey.

Michael

Georgi Kovachev
Bulgaria
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Thank you, Hans and Michael! Jul 23, 2018

@ Hans
What your referred to regarding CafeTran Espresso is also embedded in Fluency ('Preferences' -> 'TM and Term Settings' -> 'Terminology Settings' -> 'Use fuzzy matching'), in respect of source terms.

By 'a dictionary of synonyms' I meant one that is already in the program, not created by me.

@Michael
1. I do not know of any way of changing between the ‘text only view’ and ‘full formatting view’ on-the-fly, but you can consider the following com
... See more
@ Hans
What your referred to regarding CafeTran Espresso is also embedded in Fluency ('Preferences' -> 'TM and Term Settings' -> 'Terminology Settings' -> 'Use fuzzy matching'), in respect of source terms.

By 'a dictionary of synonyms' I meant one that is already in the program, not created by me.

@Michael
1. I do not know of any way of changing between the ‘text only view’ and ‘full formatting view’ on-the-fly, but you can consider the following command: 'File' -> 'Export Target Preview'. I have not actually used this feature.
2. You can insert synonyms, Michael! After you have added a term and have confirmed it, do not close the window but add the synonym, thus you will have both terms in the database. You should, however, type the second one. You can add as many synonyms as you like.

Which terms to use you can specify using 'Terminology' -> 'Add Document Term', where you create a list of your preferred terms for the project. This feature is actually enabled because you need to untick 'Add to Tracked Terms' in order not to add a term/phrase to a project.
Conversely, you can specify a list of 'Black terms' ('Terminology'-> 'Add Document Black List Term') that the QA will not allow you to use in your translation.

Georgi
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Are you really sure? Jul 24, 2018

Georgi Kovachev wrote:

@ Hans

In all other CAT tools that I’ve evaluated, recognition of the ‘inner dash’ (German Bindestrich) exceeds the fuzziness level (meaning: the alternative spelling is not recognised).

Are you sure that Fluecy can deal with it?

Georgi Kovachev
Bulgaria
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
I am not really sure, but Jul 24, 2018

Fluency can recognise inflected words – in Bulgarian nouns and adjectives are masculine, feminine and neuter with varying ending, just like the verb forms – and provide proper suggestions in the Terminology window. The software uses '~' before the target word/phrase to show you that the term entered in the database is a bit different.

I presume you meant the same functionality.

Georgi

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Is there any way to stop hidden text from being imported into Fluency?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »