Thread poster: Reed James
Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 20:36
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Sep 22, 2018

I'm looking for a free or inexpensive way to advertise my services. I've been through Google AdWords, and I find results scattered without any sales. I must admit, it did improve site availability. I also didn't like the fact that you can't use a page that is not your homepage. For example, if I wanted to list my ProZ profile as the target site, Google AdWords would list www.proz.com, which is not what I want.
... See more
I'm looking for a free or inexpensive way to advertise my services. I've been through Google AdWords, and I find results scattered without any sales. I must admit, it did improve site availability. I also didn't like the fact that you can't use a page that is not your homepage. For example, if I wanted to list my ProZ profile as the target site, Google AdWords would list www.proz.com, which is not what I want.

I've had a few inquiries via Craigslist, but I'm looking for something even more effective. Maybe something permanent? Any ideas? Thanks.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
intercultural usefulness Sep 23, 2018

Hello, Reed--Not wanna to rain on your parade, yet all those SEO ranks are but a fiction, like zillion of virtual bubbling "friends"; just numbers.

A quick check demonstrated that:
1) your site heavily relies on JS, and doesn't open at all without one;
2) the average loading time exceeds recommended 200ms and makes approx 1600ms;
3) a very short description/title (let alone content ratio)
4) why no HTTPS?
5) low external optimization (no relevant news
... See more
Hello, Reed--Not wanna to rain on your parade, yet all those SEO ranks are but a fiction, like zillion of virtual bubbling "friends"; just numbers.

A quick check demonstrated that:
1) your site heavily relies on JS, and doesn't open at all without one;
2) the average loading time exceeds recommended 200ms and makes approx 1600ms;
3) a very short description/title (let alone content ratio)
4) why no HTTPS?
5) low external optimization (no relevant news/social groups, not even Alexa);
6) code issues (no cache, no H1 tag, unnecessary tabs/spaces, no canonical/preferred, no sitemap, no DNS spf records for email, no Googlebot approve);
7) not very mobile-friendly (no viewport metatag?);
8) rather many technical/HTML/CSS issues...

Also I scanned your CV and it makes a fuzzy impression due to first person vs third person and a mix of tenses (aspects), while lacking the specifics: translation or mentoring, direct clients or agencies--not even a portfolio. Furthermore, I think you really should try other search engines and platforms, considering local peculiarities and colors.

Cheers

Oops, you are about ProZ)

[Edited at 2018-09-23 05:38 GMT]
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:36
Italian to English
No pain, no gain Sep 23, 2018

I think if there was an effective free or inexpensive way to promote our translation services, everyone would have picked up on it by now. There are free services out there, but they take work, and that is what will ultimately set you apart from the crowd. Most of my customers have found me through Proz - a good profile and strong Kudoz answers should give you good visibility.

Start a blog and promote it on Twitter (free), or polish your LinkedIn profile if you have one (also free),
... See more
I think if there was an effective free or inexpensive way to promote our translation services, everyone would have picked up on it by now. There are free services out there, but they take work, and that is what will ultimately set you apart from the crowd. Most of my customers have found me through Proz - a good profile and strong Kudoz answers should give you good visibility.

Start a blog and promote it on Twitter (free), or polish your LinkedIn profile if you have one (also free), and leverage it to find the type of customers you want.

But if you're looking for the "magic bullet", I fear there ain't no such thing.
Collapse

Jorge Payan

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It takes time Sep 23, 2018

I grew my web site from FAQs I was getting bored from answering via e-mail over and over again, mostly about sworn translations in Brazil.

Over the years, I've been packing it with potentially useful information for clients who use the services I provide, as well as fellow translators. In this meantime (and to date), I never invested one cent in outsourced SEO or pay-per-click services
... See more
I grew my web site from FAQs I was getting bored from answering via e-mail over and over again, mostly about sworn translations in Brazil.

Over the years, I've been packing it with potentially useful information for clients who use the services I provide, as well as fellow translators. In this meantime (and to date), I never invested one cent in outsourced SEO or pay-per-click services.

Looking back, it took my site about 7 years on the web to become my leading source of new clients.
Collapse

Jose Felix Garcia
Jose Felix Garcia
United Kingdom
SEO Sep 24, 2018

Best way to do so is by doing SEO. Writing some articles and building a social media community. It will be slowly in the beginning but in the long term it will work wonders. I have done that for some companies, such as W. Uden & Sons

Hope this helps

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Simple way to advertise translations

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »